feedback on bent bulldog

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
jasonpatrick

feedback on bent bulldog

Post by jasonpatrick »

I originally made this bulldog with an acrylic mold stem, but when I drilled it for the delrin tenon, it got internal cracks on the top and bottom that I didn't discover until I was done shaping it. I decided that enough was enough and bought some rod stock to start making my own stems. This is the end product. I would love critical feedback on both the shaping of the pipe and the stem as it's my first one.

Instagram - bitofthatpipemaking
Adui

Re: feedback on bent bulldog

Post by Adui »

If that's your first stem, I say you did GREAT. I am new and don't see much, but I did notice the stem appears a little more rounded on top VS bottom at the end.
The pipe itself is nice, I only hope to do as good. It is a bit blocky for my taste, but that's my personal taste and not necessarily a critique.
The only other thing of note for me is a question; I always thought the Bulldog shape had a Diamond shank, whereas yours is more square. Is this something that is relative to the carver or is the classic bulldog supposed to be diamond oriented?
I hope to be at least half the person my dogs thinks I am.

AKA Terry
n80

Post by n80 »

I like it. For a first stem that is excellent. I've done about 10 and none of them are that good. And while it may just be the way it looks in the photos but it seems like a longer stem might work a little better.
jasonpatrick

Post by jasonpatrick »

Adui wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:23 pm ...The only other thing of note for me is a question; I always thought the Bulldog shape had a Diamond shank, whereas yours is more square. Is this something that is relative to the carver or is the classic bulldog supposed to be diamond oriented?
I thought so as well, but Tyler Beard made this comment from my post in Facebook:
Tyler - To nit pick a little, I'd say that's a bulldog more than a Rhodesian.
Jason - Tyler, I thought the diamond shank was necessary for a bulldog?
Tyler - Jason - the reason I was not black and white about my comment is because, yes, a prototypical bulldog has a diamond shank. However, a prototypical Rhodesian has a round shank.
there is also the debate, which dI don't particularly put much merit in, that the taller bowl makes it a bulldog, and the squatty bowl is a Rhodesian.
Either way, I think yours is more bulldog-ish.
n80

Post by n80 »

Smokingpipes.com has a few square shanked pipes with bulldogish stummels and they list them as Rhodesians.

jasonpatrick

Post by jasonpatrick »

Yeah, I don't think it's a hard and fast rule...bulldog is sure easier to spell. I had to look up rhodesian the first few times.