Sharp tools?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
LatakiaLover

Sharp tools?

Post by LatakiaLover »

Yeah, I like sharp tools...

:D

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
n80

Re: Sharp tools?

Post by n80 »

Please tell us uninitiated which tools you used. I've seen the video about using a long bit with the power drill to polish the tenon but I am not sure about how you cut the stem end, the delrin tenon end or that amazing bevel at the base of the tenon.

George
Adui

Post by Adui »

I'm guessing thats off a lathe. My tenon tool from VF didn't cut that smooth right out of the box.
I hope to be at least half the person my dogs thinks I am.

AKA Terry
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

This was a lathe job for a highly collectable old Dunhill. The owner wants the pipe to look original when taken apart as well as when together, and the absence of that 45-degree shoulder is a 100% reliable giveaway that a stem is a replacement.

The cutter widget that goes into the lathe watchamacallit was made (shaped by) me. There's nothing available off the shelf that will work.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Adui wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:56 pm I'm guessing thats off a lathe. My tenon tool from VF didn't cut that smooth right out of the box.
You're right in this case---it was done with a lathe---but I get equally smooth results from my DP spinner-cutter. If you don't, most likely it's a rigidity and/or runout issue. Drill presses have to be industrial size/grade for them those spinners to work well because they create a "sideways" load when cutting, and DP's are designed to handle an axial load.
n80

Post by n80 »

LL, are you using a metal lathe or one of those 'watch making' type lathes?
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

n80 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:12 pm LL, are you using a metal lathe or one of those 'watch making' type lathes?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU8MOy- ... =2&t=5m17s
n80

Post by n80 »

Helluva shop!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

n80 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:31 amHelluva shop!
It's my personal Disneyland. :lol:

Fact: If I learned five minutes from now that I'd inheirited a billion dollars and could live any way I wanted and do whatever I wanted for the rest of my life, working on pipes would still be a passion. I don't mean buying up/supporting/etc. pipe companies around the world, subsidizing shows, and so forth---though there'd be plenty of that---I mean hands-on shop time.

The lunch break might be Iberico ham sandwiches with black truffles and a bottle of 1982 Chateau Petrus served on a silver tray, but the rest would remain the same: A 1923 Dunhill P that needs a new stem (or whatever) sent by someone from wherever, with an accompanying note explaining its importance to them. The smell of rubber would soon fill the room. 8)
Last edited by LatakiaLover on Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
n80

Post by n80 »

I get it. I see the appeal. So much so that most of my pipe making ventures are costing me money. And I still enjoy it. I think mastering one or two of the necessary skills will only improve that enjoyment.

And for tomorrow's lunch try the Prosciutto di Parma sandwich.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I'd be exactly the same. I would certainly make less pipes but I would still be spending most of my day in the workshop, I would just do some other things as well that currently I don't have the money and space to do.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

As I recall, the earth wobbled on its axis for a couple of day after George caved and finally got a lathe :lol:
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

But it was only a leetle one... :oops:
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

LatakiaLover wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:29 pm But it was only a leetle one... :oops:
Blasphemy!! A lathe is a lathe! You are forever tainted! Turn in your magnifier, now!.
It takes a lathe to make a lathe. So how did someone make the first one? Chicken or the egg?