#2 Billiard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Flygare

#2 Billiard

Post by Flygare »

I made another atempt making a straight billiard. This is my first one with a handmade stem.

As per usual I see the obvious flaws after finishing the whole thing...

1. Messed up the shank taper, should have been thinner at the stummel and should have had an even taper all the way.

2. The stem was initially wider at the bite but a little ”mishap” made it smaller. The apperance now is a bit wobbly, would have liked it to taper out wider.

I feel that the stummels shape is in the vincinity of ok? Does the stem look ok or is it blimpy?

All comments and pointers are more than welcome!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
n80

Re: #2 Billiard

Post by n80 »

Okay, here's what I see (not based on any expertise but just what I've been told about my own few attempts at a billiard):

I think the back line of the bowl needs to be a little more vertical.
The bit area of the stem probably needs to be a little thinner.
The taper of the stem looks a little wavy.
The slot needs work.

The front profile of the bowl looks good to me. Maybe a tad bottom heavy, maybe not.
For a second billiard I think your shank-to-stummel junction is pretty dang good.
I like the grain orientation on the sides. I like the end grain on the wide rim.

The experts may need to correct me on all of this.

George
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Stem is too short and needs more material removed especially at the bit end. Fair amount of waviness in the lines from shank through the stem. Long strokes from bowl to bit with files then sandpaper would help this. The widest point of the bowl is set a tad low and should taper a bit more towards the rim. Overall, pretty close and better than my second billiard.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Flygare

Post by Flygare »

Thank you for the pointers! I will try to get it better on the next one.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk