Can Anyone Tell Me Where To Purchase Honey Colored Dye?

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
shikano53

Can Anyone Tell Me Where To Purchase Honey Colored Dye?

Post by shikano53 »

I have been searching all over the internet and the only honey colored leather dye I could find was from a company called Angelus.
Does anyone have any experience with this or if you could share a source for this color of dye it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm wondering if you diluted some form of tan or yellow with some Methyl hydrate if it might go clear-er??? I don't know. What colors make a honey color?
Thanks in advance.
UnderShade

Re: Can Anyone Tell Me Where To Purchase Honey Colored Dye?

Post by UnderShade »

You might get close with a tan and yellow/orange combo. ?
RickB

Post by RickB »

Some combination of Fiebing's buckskin and yellow would probably work pretty well, though some briar is naturally redder. Sometimes that straight yellow by itself gets a little greenish but I bet there's enough brown/orange in the buckskin to warm it up some.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

Thank you! I do have some of those colors. I will see what I can maybe make up. I'm color blind so my wife will have supervise the mixing.
RickB

Post by RickB »

FWIW I basically never actually mix stains with one minor exception (I've got some yellow and a touch of red in my shellac, usually). Everything gets layered on full strength - I'd probably do buckskin @600 and probably 800, followed by yellow at 1000 if I were doing a smooth. Probably a coat of yellow under a coat of buckskin for a blast, unless I was blasting in between in which case I'd reverse that. Good luck!
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I also like the Buckskin from Feibings, as well as Light Brown. All the colors can be diluted to give different results if needed.

Somewhere I have a dye concentrate from TransTint that bills itself as "Honey Amber", but I was never really satisfied with it. It just never seemed to give the right color, at least for my preferences, no matter what carrier I used. It's probably a great stain - just not for me.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I use the Vintage Amber from TransTint with a few drops of red in it to make an orange that I like. I find it to be yellowish by itself. It is the only color that I use that I mix prior to use, otherwise, I follow RickB’s course of action.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

Thanks for the input. Here is what I'm working on. It's a Churchwarden. It's still in the sanding phase. The stem is Japanese ebonite. The grain is very nice flame grain and I was thinking just one color. If I had a blasting set up I think I would blast it because it has nice ring grain. However, I was thinking maybe buckskin but it's got a lot of yellow in it. I was hoping to tune the yellow down some. Maybe pour some in a container then dilute it with some Methylhydrate or mix it with my shellac and then apply it. Don't know how it would look. I think maybe I'll try a bit on a cast off chunk of briar (I have lots) and see how it looks. It's got a number of small pin-hole size pits/flaws but I like the grain so much I'm thinking to just stain it. I was also thinking to try and use my Dremel to try and make a 'pretend' blast.
Any suggestions?