Italian-esque "Bot" or "Pilliard"... can't decide which

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMG

Re: Italian-esque "Bot" or "Pilliard"... can't decide which

Post by JMG »

LatakiaLover wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:09 pm It all comes back around to copying something being the best way to learn a craft. The target is unambiguous, and the result---the feedback---is immediate and dispassionate.

Since collectable grade pipe repair is mostly copying stuff to the point you can't tell if it's original or not, producing a whole pipe is just a matter of packaging the right replicative repair tasks into a single piece.

But I am not a pipe maker in the modern, artistic sense. Not even close. That requires a type of 3-D imagination I don't have (or don't have the patience to unearth/develop with years of effort). In this case, instead of shortening a stack's bowl, I just used the bottom part of it as a pattern. It was 100% a technical exercise, not truly making a pipe at all. :lol:
A humble man....and a wizard. I'm convinced you are a wizard.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
pipeluv

Post by pipeluv »

LatakiaLover wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:03 pm
pipeluv wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:13 am Dear George,
My roomy from Chicago 2016!
Yo, Kent! :thumbsup:

I didn't know you were in the mix, here. Welcome. :D

And thanks for the pipe props. I'm not a maker at all (this was my third if you count one I fumbled through in 1978), but there's a lot of repair overlap tool & technique-wise, so I figured why not give it a go. If they don't sell what you want then make it yourself, right?

Do you have a site or web page or something? I recall you were turning out some high level stuff quite quickly because of your woodworking background and artistic imagination. I'd love to see your latest.
Hi George,
I think I sent you a private message. Basically saying no I don’t have a website. I’m only on instagram. I’m probably going to post some more pics of my work in the gallery here. There is a post in the gallery titled Fugu from me, I would love to hear your thoughts. Take care
c kent joyce
Masonrygh

Post by Masonrygh »

I agree with the others on that stem. Absolutely perfect! Are there any techniques you use to get the taper so perfectly symmetrical? Or is the secret technique simply “have patience and make a better stem” [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Tools don’t make pipes” -SandahlPipe
“Every Pipe is a Billiard” -SandahlPipe
"Plan your work, work your plan" -Walt Cannoy