No. 9

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
UnderShade

No. 9

Post by UnderShade »

Here’s my 9th pipe. Acorn/tomato-ish? Full o pits, but whadaya gonna do... critiques welcome.
Last edited by UnderShade on Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
UnderShade

Re: No. 9

Post by UnderShade »

Somebody please tell me what I’m doing wrong when uploading these photos… :roll:
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

on imgur, you just copy the "direct link" and then here, you press the photo icon, hit control v for paste, it will paste the link between the boxes, telling the program that there thing you copied is the image link. Done.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

Ahhhhh.... Thanks Sas! After seeing these photos on my PC, I cleaned up that sloppy slot :banghead:
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

The only design thing that's a bit "off" to my eye is the size and shape of the bowl relative to the shank/stem. It looks as if two different pipes were fused. The shank & stem are elegant and delicate (the tiny upturned flare is lovely), while the bulbous bowl is chunky and elemental.

Technically everything looks pretty good to excellent, with the only "jump from the screen" item being the area behind the button (a bit rough and unpolished) and the surface of the bite zone showing some channeling & streaking from improper buffing.

Overall? For a ninth-ever pipe? Absolutely outstanding. 8)
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

Thank you so much George. I definitely struggled with the bowl size on this one. Great advice that will be taken to heart for the future!
JMG

Post by JMG »

If you knocked off more material off the front of the bowl to moreso match the back (stem side) I think, overall, it would look much more properly proportioned.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

JMG wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:10 am If you knocked off more material off the front of the bowl to moreso match the back (stem side) I think, overall, it would look much more properly proportioned.
Definitely. I wrestled with that before finishing.
n80

Post by n80 »

Undershade, I'm very impressed, especially with the stem and shank work. Is that synthetic ivory? Did you use a delrin tenon for that assembly? George (LL) has a video on how to polish the area just behind the button. I haven't tried it yet but nothing else I've tried on my own will clean it up.
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

n80 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:02 pm Undershade, I'm very impressed, especially with the stem and shank work. Is that synthetic ivory? Did you use a delrin tenon for that assembly? George (LL) has a video on how to polish the area just behind the button. I haven't tried it yet but nothing else I've tried on my own will clean it up.
Thanks a lot George! It is indeed synthetic ivory from VF. I turned the tenon on my metal lathe. I've watched that video many, many times (even took notes) and always use his technique, but I was ready to get done with this one and totally forgot before I bent the stem. So, I buffed it as best as I could. I have since resolved it and the channeling LL pointed out :oops:
n80

Post by n80 »

I got some of the synthetic ivory from VF recently and some delrin on the way and hope to do a test run similar to what you have done there. Again, very nice.
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

My only advice is be careful when sanding it; it’s a lot softer than ebonite. Thanks again!