What do you think?

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
NvilleDave

What do you think?

Post by NvilleDave »

5 1/2" long
45 grams
Vulcanite stem

I suck at pipe pictures--sorry.

The other one will be finished sometime this week (I hope).

Dave
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

WOW... Very nice Dave. How long did it take you to make it?

This may not be helpful criticizm because I can't see the resolution but the lines on the side seem to be conflicting with some lines on the bowl. But, I can't see the bottom line very well so maybe that brings it together.

But the rest of it looks great!
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Dave,

Very cool pipes...nice work!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

That is really a nice job. I like how the shank seems to insert into the bowl. It lends a real crispness and confidence to it.
You also did a great job of keeping the edges straight along the side.

Canting the bowl forward a hair was a great decision.

The only criticism I have is I would rather see more of a gentle slope in the stem. The transition from the shank to the flat portion of the stem seems to be too abrupt.

Personaly, I also prefer the non-fishtail stem on the unfinished pipe.

Great job on both of them! :thumb:
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

Thanks Guys!

Ben all in all I guess I've been working on it on and off for about 2 weeks--my time was spread out between 4 others on the bench.

John thanks for commenting on the bowl--I like it too. The stem was a mistake that I corrected (hopefully) on the second pipe--the mistake being that I made the tenon/mortise too large--I can't taper the shank anymore without risking going into the mortise. I went smaller on the other so I should be able to have a very nice gentle slope.

Thanks again!

Dave
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

What tool (s) do you use to cut your stems?
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

LexKY_Pipe wrote:What tool (s) do you use to cut your stems?
Hi Craig,
I turn them on a Taig. The rest I with a belt sander, files and sand paper--emery boards are a big help too.

Dave
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Very sharp looking! I find I prefer the stem on the unfinished one, but other than, I like them a lot.

One thought: Th stem on the finshed one seems very awkward. I'm not sure what is bothering me about it, but perhaps it's the large flat area that transitions into a thicker part near the briar. Perhaps a saddle, or half saddle, would have complemented the lines better while keeping the bit thin. I think it's reminding me of one of those long balloons that ou make balloon animals out of. You know, when the tail isn't fully inflated and you have this tiny little uninflated part at the end. This is probably due to the tenon arrangement that you mentioned before, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
marks

Post by marks »

Are you sure you're not Tom Eltang posting under an assumed name?

Very nice pipes. I think a saddle on the finished one would look better, like Kurt said, but there is still nothing wrong with it just like it is.
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

KurtHuhn wrote:Very sharp looking! I find I prefer the stem on the unfinished one, but other than, I like them a lot.

One thought: Th stem on the finshed one seems very awkward. I'm not sure what is bothering me about it, but perhaps it's the large flat area that transitions into a thicker part near the briar. Perhaps a saddle, or half saddle, would have complemented the lines better while keeping the bit thin. I think it's reminding me of one of those long balloons that ou make balloon animals out of. You know, when the tail isn't fully inflated and you have this tiny little uninflated part at the end. This is probably due to the tenon arrangement that you mentioned before, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.
Thanks for the comments Kurt. Believe me, the stem bothers me alot too--I may try to cut a new stem at some point but I've got too many others that I need to finish.

Thanks again,
Dave
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

marks wrote:Are you sure you're not Tom Eltang posting under an assumed name?

Very nice pipes. I think a saddle on the finished one would look better, like Kurt said, but there is still nothing wrong with it just like it is.
Thanks Marks but I'm not even close to deserving of that compliment!
BDP

Dave's Pipe

Post by BDP »

Dave,

Those are some trippy pipes! They belong in the museum of modern art.
Very imaginative. Reminds me of something Rolando might come up with.
Wish I could see the bottom and side a bit better.
Bulldogs can be deceptively difficult. Coincidently, I am working on one right now. It is nearly done; ready to start staining, actually. I'll post a pic when it is complete.

Increase Throughput!,
Brad
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

Thanks Brad--I wish I could claim the shape but it's one that I borrowed from Eltang. Maybe someday I'll develop my own style.

John Crosby (Artguy) has definetly developed his own style--it comes through subtly yet its there to see. Other makers can be picked out too--Matzhold come to mind--which makes me wonder if formal art education (or architecture) is what helps bring that about. Maybe it comes about with time?

Something to discuss in another thread I guess.

Dave
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

NvilleDave wrote:…snip which makes me wonder if formal art education (or architecture) is what helps bring that about. Maybe it comes about with time?

Something to discuss in another thread I guess.

Dave
Though this discussion might come out as a "barbershop talk" (my father uses this german term for all talks not really leading anywhere – just like the friendly conversation while sitting on that chair…), I do exactly believe that it (the formal art education) brings some help.
It won't help you with your skills, if your art education did not cover manual processes comparable to pipe making. But I think it can save you a whole lot of time in judging a shape you try. I don't talk about personal taste, but you know, when you're messing around on a block that is ugly. There is some underlying feeling for propertions that keeps you from making really clumsy things. At least to some extent. And that saves some time to train your skills rather than wondering why it simply doesn't even resemble something pleasant to the eye.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Fine art training has certainly helped me get over the curve much quicker that if I had not had it. With it I gained sensitivity to subtle design elements (proportion, line, balance, etc), an eye for fine craftsmanship, a strong work ethic, and the ability to spot in my own work subtle nuances that I can then exploit and use to define my own style.

What I did not learn to do in art school is operating lathes, bandsaws, choosing drill bits, pipe engineering, wood finishing techniques and such... those types of things I learned from corresponding with other pipemakers and doing it over and over again until I got it right.

I am not saying that anyone wanting to make pipes has to have a fine art background, just that I have found it to be a great help. Believe it or not, the thought process for carving a pipe is the same as that used in drawing one. It really is a matter of transferring it to another medium. I still have a long way to go before I am making truly world class pipes, but with time I will get there, and my art background is helping out a bunch.
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

ArtGuy wrote:I am not saying that anyone wanting to make pipes has to have a fine art background, just that I have found it to be a great help. Believe it or not, the thought process for carving a pipe is the same as that used in drawing one. It really is a matter of transferring it to another medium. I still have a long way to go before I am making truly world class pipes, but with time I will get there, and my art background is helping out a bunch.
Exactly right--I don't think you have to have a education in art either but if you look at the "great ones" many have a background in art or architecture--I don't have a list in front of me but I know there are many.

Alexander nailed it; "There is some underlying feeling for propertions that keeps you from making really clumsy things."

"Pleasing to the eye" is hard to transfer from the mind's eye--for me anyway.
BDP

Bulldog I told you about

Post by BDP »

Hey Dave,

Here's a pic of the bulldog I told you I was working on. All I need to do is stamp it now- OH BOY! 8O

Do you pick up any "danish" with this, or do you see "English"? Oh BTW, yes- it is a "sitter". The pic shows it sitting with no help- "Look Ma'! No hands!"

Brad
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

Brad Congrats

Thats a very nicley executed pipe, crisp lines and a nice finish. I love the upper line of where te shank meets the bowl,well done, As fore danish\english its hard to say, for me its a mixture of the two....

whats your story in pipemaking anyways?...saw your page for the first time a couple of weeks ago I have seen you post in the forums before but not seen any of your work....you make some nice pipes

ps: I HATE stamping...

Best

Love
www.geigerpipes.com
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

WOW Brad...what else is there to say!!!!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

Beautiful Brad!

I honestly think that's one of the best looking Bulldogs I've ever seen. Couple of questions--is the stem inlay material ivory?

I use abrasive cord to "scribe" the line around the top of the bowl on mine--what do you use? They look like they have a square bottom.

Dave