What do you think?

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
BDP

Watch out for The Bull

Post by BDP »

Dave,

Thanks. I really like it too. Yes, the stem material is pre-ban elephant ivory from Kenya. The rings were put in with a .040" cut-off tool that I modified on my grinder.

Wish I could keep this one- and I'm not a big bulldog fan! It really feels great in the mouth and hand. It is large- probably around a generous ODA size. Do you see any danish influence, or English? I was trying for danish, but bulldogs have British written all over them! It's a hard shape to put your own twist on, as you know by now. :wink:

Back To The Shop,
Brad
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

Brad I actually can see the Danish in it--the sweep of the stem along with the bowl not having so much of a "squat" look to it--that's what you were going for yes? Nice graining on it too--care to say where that piece came from?

Also, I hate stamping too--I put a double stamp on one last night.

Dave
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Brad, that's one *GOOOD* looking bulldog. I like it a lot - and I like bulldogs and rohdesians. This one blows everything I have in my collection away. It's got Danish written all over it - the line of the stem, the shank/bowl intersection, the drop at the rear of the bowl's bottom, the angle on the front of the bowl. It's really is very nice. I hae trouble seeing any English in it, unless I cover up the entire pipe except for th etop of the bowl. :)

That's not true. I can see some English in it. I can see me stuffing it full of some SG Balkan Flake. 8)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
BDP

Post by BDP »

Dave,

I'm not sure what you mean by "care to say where that piece came from?" Do you mean the wood? It came out of my stock, which is all 20+ years cured Italian briar. It is all a golden color when sanded, and sometimes I think my stains would be more vibrant if they were being applied to newer, whiter wood. The other side of the coin is the great smoking characteristics that it does produce. The grass is always greener, right?

Kurt,
Man, you know how to make a guy feel good! Makes me want to post more pics from other angles. :lol: Thanks for the "style" feedback. You picked up on some of the key variations. Are you going to Richmond? I plan on having the bulldog there. Maybe you might want to add it to your collection?? :thumb:

Brad
magruder

Post by magruder »

Brad,
That is a really fine rendition of a tough shape to pull off. It definitly has a Danish look to it. Like Teddy decided to do a bulldog. Teddy more so than, say, Former.
It doesn't look German either,or Italian - yep, Danish. Nice,nice job.
What's this boy weigh? And can I call dibs? I want to see it in Richmond! :thumb:
Can't wait.
Best,
Steve
BDP

Magruder

Post by BDP »

Steve,

It might possibly be spoken for already, and this guy doesn't care for bulldogs! Anyway, I'll try to dissuade him if you are really serious, but he has already asked for more pics (nobody on this forum, btw). I told him I wanted it for Richmond, and that it was going nowhere at least until then. So I will definitely have it with me. PM if you like.

Best,
Brad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

BDP wrote:Kurt,
Man, you know how to make a guy feel good! Makes me want to post more pics from other angles. :lol: Thanks for the "style" feedback. You picked up on some of the key variations. Are you going to Richmond? I plan on having the bulldog there. Maybe you might want to add it to your collection?? :thumb:
I've been looking long and hard at "what makes a danish pipe", and there are some very recognizable stylistic elements. I've been trying to incorporate some of them into all of my pipes - some to a lesser extent, but in all of them.

Sadly, I will not be in Richmond this year. I just can't get the time off from the day job, which sucks more than you can imagine. *However*, I will be in Chicago next year. Frank has confirmed my table, and I need to call the resort to make my reservations. Will I see you there?

I don't know, Brad. I don't think I can afford your Bulldog. Which is funny, since if I were go and buy a pipe, I couldn't afford *mine* either. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

BDP wrote:Dave,

I'm not sure what you mean by "care to say where that piece came from?" Do you mean the wood? It came out of my stock, which is all 20+ years cured Italian briar. It is all a golden color when sanded, and sometimes I think my stains would be more vibrant if they were being applied to newer, whiter wood. The other side of the coin is the great smoking characteristics that it does produce. The grass is always greener, right?Brad
Hey Brad,
Yeah, I was asking about the block of briar. Wow, 20+ years cured--incredible! I have some blocks that have a darker color too. Sometimes it helps mine to understain them with yellow but I would imagine you've already tried that.

Again, great work!

Dave
BDP

Post by BDP »

"I don't know, Brad. I don't think I can afford your Bulldog. Which is funny, since if I were go and buy a pipe, I couldn't afford *mine* either. "

Kurt,

We're in the same boat, brother... start rowing!

Brad