Working with an established pipe maker.

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
n80

Working with an established pipe maker.

Post by n80 »

Looking over countless pipe websites one of the themes I see among artisan pipe makers is that many of them worked with or were taught by or were coached/mentored by established/well know pipe makers. It does not seem like many of these were actual apprenticeships but details are often lacking. The benefit of such interactions seems significant.

Obviously this site has a wealth of information but also obviously there is no real face-to-face interaction or direct interaction with actual pipes in various stages of production.

I'm curious if any of you established guys worked with or were mentored by someone else and how that came about and if it made a real difference.

One of the things I have noticed with my limited number of pipes made is that I can often feel more by touch than I can see in regard to shaping, symmetry, defects and such. Videos and pictures can't give you that. And it seems like it would beneficial for serious beginners to be able to watch an established maker work but also to be able to handle the pipes during the carving process. I'm assuming plenty of folks get to a high level of carving without being around other pipe makers but it sure seems like actually seeing someone work or having them observe your work would be of great benefit.

George
sandahlpipe

Re: Working with an established pipe maker.

Post by sandahlpipe »

You can only learn what you don’t know by interacting with others, and when it comes to visual and manual labor, there’s a lot that virtual interaction cannot bridge in that process.

When I went to visit Walt Cannoy, he let me shape a billiard, and when I thought it was done, I’d hand it to him, he marked the high spots, and I went back to shaping. It took a long time of going back and forth, but at the end, I had a better feel for where symmetry was off, and things I’d read about finally made sense.

Since then, I look for opportunities to show my work to friends at or above my level, looking for their feedback. In person, at pipe shows. And when I get an opportunity to make a pipe with someone else, I take the chance. There’s a lot you learn from the in-person aspect. Maybe you can get to a high level without that, but the sum of two minds ends up greater than any one by himself, which is why the very high end guys almost all work on collaborations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

It has been very important to my development as a pipe maker to have visited and spoken with other pipe makers. I am fortunate to live near Mike Thomas and Jason Thompson, and Mike periodically has a pipe makers get together at his shop.
Everyone has had to develop techniques and solve problems in the process, and frequently, their solutions are better than yours.
I have also visited Premal Chheda’s shop several times, and each time I learn a carp load of stuff.
I have also spoken with Jeremiah at the Chicago show and he has been kind enough to critique my pipes.
There is nothing like these first hand interactions.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
cpd2186

Post by cpd2186 »

I dont think I would have taken up the craft if Premal wasnt just 15 minutes away. What I have learned from him would have taken me years on my own. If you can, look him up at shows and just pick his brain..... You will appreciate it! And he loves to help!