Copying Someone's Signature Design

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
n80

Copying Someone's Signature Design

Post by n80 »

I'm a new hobbyist pipe maker. I've made four pipes that I have not thrown away. Only one out of briar. My briar pipe is a crude copy of Love Geiger's signature "logo" pipe design which has become my current favorite pipe design. I've put a picture of my pipe down below.

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with me, a rank beginner, copying someone else's unique design for fun. And I have no plans to sell pipes that I make so that is not currently a concern.

However, my wife has asked me to donate this pipe to a local charity auction, the kind where people pay more than things are worth for a good cause and because they've had a drink or two too many. Is there anything wrong with me doing this seeing as this is a copy of Love's design....albeit a crude one?

I doubt there is, but for the sake of curiosity are there copyright issues with pipe designs? Are there unwritten rules or considerations? An honor among thieves? Just poor taste if you do it?

Let's say one day my skills improve and I make a half decent copy of one of these pipes (right now its the only design I want to work on since I like the lines so much) and had a chance to sell one. As long as it isn't misrepresented as an actual Geiger pipe would there be anything wrong with that?

Thanks,

George

LatakiaLover

Re: Copying Someone's Signature Design

Post by LatakiaLover »

No worries, you are good to go. Pipe designs are community property. As long as people don't start copying a stummel's STAMPS, all is well.

(And while some of that goes on today in China, there's so little money to be made doing it that only low-end, gullible buyers are affected a la the Nigerian scam model. i.e. the pipes are obvious junk.)
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
JMG

Post by JMG »

IAWLL. There's nothing new under the sun. Just don't go making false clams and if you feel so inclined, just give that particular maker a nod in some way.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
n80

Post by n80 »

JMG wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:01 am There's nothing new under the sun.
I agree, but as simple as Geiger's "logo" design is I don't see much like it out there. He has several variations of it. I wonder where he got the idea.

George