Thoughts on Black Locust?

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
n80

Thoughts on Black Locust?

Post by n80 »

When my son-in-law found out I was starting to make pipes he brought me a nicely dried log of black locust.

So far I have only made pipes in walnut simply because it is what I had.

I've got some briar on the way.

Anyway, my main reason for wanting to give the locust a try, besides its excellent hardness, is that this particular piece has stunning yellow and brown grain. The ends of the piece have aged to a more russet color. The grain has horizontal and vertical lines and is iridescent. I would like to maintain the yellow that I'm seeing in the fresh cut pieces.

Of course I have nothing to lose and plenty of the wood so no reason not to give it a try. Any thoughts on how to orient the grain for best effect?

Thanks,

George
n80

Re: Thoughts on Black Locust?

Post by n80 »

To answer my own post: I cut some slabs of the black locust on the band saw and then cut a cylinder out of it with a hole saw. I cut this cylinder in the long axis of the grain, in other words, in the same axis as the log lengthwise. I sanded it to 1000 grain, buffed it, put some tong oil on it and then buffed it with carnuba. The wood is beautiful and and dense. Buffs to a very high gloss. I'm going to start on a pipe tomorrow. However, I think I will orient the grain on the short axis.

I'll post a picture if I finish it just so folks can see what the wood looks like....not for critique...I'm a raw beginner.

George
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Makes great tool handles, fence posts, billy clubs, and martial arts staves.
Also used as foundation logs for log cabins.
Otherwise, I’m sticking to briar, morta, olive and cobs.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Locust can taste bad due to the resins and stuff in it. If you boil it repeatedly and dry it, like briar, it might be fine. I have some processed in this way, but have not made a pipe out of it - though I have used it as shank extensions and caps for calabashes.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com