A billiard for comment/critique please

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
shikano53

A billiard for comment/critique please

Post by shikano53 »

Haven't made anything in a long while. I have been practicing on maple and cherry wood. I decided to chuck up a piece of briar and work on a billiard.
Any comments or critique would be appreciated.
Thank all in advance.

Sasquatch

Re: A billiard for comment/critique please

Post by Sasquatch »

That long flat slop on the back of the bowl has to go, it's killing the upright gesture that a billiard is:

Other than that basic proportions are all right - sometimes a slightly shorter shank is required on a billiard with a saddle stem - there's extra visual weight at the saddle.

The stem looks like it's about 1 mm bigger diameter than the shank. Could just be the lighting, but it actually looks like you found a stem and plugged it into this stummel.

The rustication is awful, looks like a combination of wormy wood and cheap lacquer. Texture until the whole thing has texture, those flat areas scream "basket pipe", all the more because they aren't finished well.

Cheeks and bowl shape look pretty even and pretty good, the hard stuff is done well.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

Thanks Sasquatch. All points noted and will be taken into consideration on the next try.
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

Here are a few pics of my change up trying to incorporate the comments made.
You are correct Sasquatch; the stem is up by a tiny smidgen. The finish is just Natural Danish Oil.
On with the learning curve.
RickB

Post by RickB »

Definitely better. When you're carving the front (or back ;) ) of the bowl - the chin, in either regard - mark a point on the underside of the center of the chamber. That's where the chin starts, and then everything behind that through the shank should be dead flat. You'll want to bring that back (or front?) of the bowl in more too - it should be pretty close to a 90 degree angle with the shank... depending on the amount of taper in your shank (refer to the pic from Sas on that).
Get ready to make like 50 of these before you feel like you can really nail them, or so I've been told. I just finished my 8th billiard and it's almost a good pipe.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
shikano53

Post by shikano53 »

Thanks Rick! I will too!