PhilipHAnderson

Tell us who you are.
PhilipHAnderson

PhilipHAnderson

Post by PhilipHAnderson »

Years a pipe smoker: 10+
How you got into pipe making:
To be honest, I am just now getting into pipe making. When I started getting into the hobby, I remember seeing an advertisement for a 4-pipe leather case and the pipes pictured were amazing works of art. They weren't identified, so I had to hunt down similar designs online until I was sure I knew the maker--Baldo Baldi. I was absolutely captivated by their beauty and simplicity. Of course, I had to look to see if I could get one but was immediately greeted by a very large price tag that (my wife tells me) I could not afford. Since then I have been looking, lurking, and dreaming about pipes (seems so odd that an instrument for burning tobacco could stir up so much--I mean, it's silly right? Right?).

I have some background in art, despite my chosen profession, that has all but laid dormant for years. Recently I started entertaining the idea of making one of those works of art for myself so I started looking for books and guidance. There are a couple other folks from Montana that I follow online who are amazing in their own right. When I found this forum and the Facebook site, I sort of just dove in. So, here I am. Thanks for letting me be here. I am humbled by the amount of knowledge shared here and it's really a testament to the pipe smoker culture in general.

Other interesting facts: I live in Montana so, of course, I fly fish, camp, hike, and generally enjoy the outdoors.