Its a shame

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

NvilleDave wrote:Ben,
The "Random idea" that I was referring to was the one about the forum taking him away from his work--that's how I was beginning to see the forum--I was too focused on the forum and as a result dieing on the vine so to speak. My meaning being I should just ignore the board and get back to work--but I didn't want it to be that way because I learn so much here--I posted a message--the rest is history.

Now, concerning me using you as a reference point--this will take some explaining so bear with me. When I started the thread, my deranged thought process was whoever is/was really concerned about the board would participate in a discussion--selfish people would start throwing rocks. I misread your post to be "sarcastic" therefore I deemed you uninterested in a discussion thereby becoming an example of the what I saw as the problem. Hope that makes sense to you because now that I've written it down I realize what an idiot I was/am.

Again, my bad, I'm sorry for any offense--I harbor no ill will toward anyone and just want to make incredible pipes that make everyone gush and go gaga.

I really am leaving town--I'm just waiting on household six to get home.

Dave
Gotcha... No bad feelings over here either.
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

I suspect there will always be some turnover here. While this is a pipemaking forum, it is primarily a social one. Meaning no disrespect to the guys here whatsoever, for a professional pipemaker, participating here is essentially unpaid working time. After 10 hours every day working on pipes in the shop, one doesn't tend to want to turn around and spend your leisure evenings talking more pipe stuff - this is the exact opposite of the amateur contingent who make pipes for fun and leisure, and to whom chatting about pipemaking here is just another form of pipemaking as a leisure-side activity. As various of the more serious & talented folks here become more and more professional, I think you'll see them participate less and less as their craft becomes more of an ongoing business concern. I don't see this as any bad reflection on the forum, but rather natural growth and change. In some ways it is actually a good thing if more carvers are essentially 'graduating' past the forum chatting days and into heavier work, as it's a testimony to the usefulness of the forum for start-up. People ask me where I do my online chatting, and I tell them mostly in the Godzilla movie and horror movie forums ;)
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
magruder

Post by magruder »

I think Dave's explanation and such are great and commendable.
I am pleased that we can all sort these things out and it doesn't get misunderstood to the point of folks having a falling out.
This is another reason I come here: intelligent,thoughtful and reasonable posters. :thumb:

Best to all,
Steve
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

bscofield wrote:Gotcha... No bad feelings over here either.
Thanks Ben... its all good! :D
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

TreverT wrote:I suspect there will always be some turnover here. While this is a pipemaking forum, it is primarily a social one. Meaning no disrespect to the guys here whatsoever, for a professional pipemaker, participating here is essentially unpaid working time. After 10 hours every day working on pipes in the shop, one doesn't tend to want to turn around and spend your leisure evenings talking more pipe stuff - this is the exact opposite of the amateur contingent who make pipes for fun and leisure, and to whom chatting about pipemaking here is just another form of pipemaking as a leisure-side activity. As various of the more serious & talented folks here become more and more professional, I think you'll see them participate less and less as their craft becomes more of an ongoing business concern. I don't see this as any bad reflection on the forum, but rather natural growth and change. In some ways it is actually a good thing if more carvers are essentially 'graduating' past the forum chatting days and into heavier work, as it's a testimony to the usefulness of the forum for start-up. People ask me where I do my online chatting, and I tell them mostly in the Godzilla movie and horror movie forums ;)
Trever,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this--"graduating" is a great way of summing it up--I never thought of it that way.

So you're over in the horror movie forums eh? Research for the Halloween series no doubt! :wink:

Seriously though--I'm so thankful and in awe of guys such as yourselves who spend your well deserved time off giving tips to us here in this forum. Thanks!

Dave
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

magruder wrote:I think Dave's explanation and such are great and commendable.
I am pleased that we can all sort these things out and it doesn't get misunderstood to the point of folks having a falling out.
This is another reason I come here: intelligent,thoughtful and reasonable posters. :thumb:

Best to all,
Steve
Thanks Steve, I really appreciate your comments.

Dave
magruder

Post by magruder »

You're quite welcome, as they are well deserved :D
Best,
steve