Information about this tool?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
sgmccleery

Information about this tool?

Post by sgmccleery »

http://snpy.in/qra0C3

Looking for information about this... bench disc sander?

All disk sanders I've seen are just the ones where you have to remove the sandpaper with the adhesive on the back. I'm looking for a solution like above where I could switch out grits faster depending on which stage I'm at in the process.

Earlier in the video he has a drill chucked up too and I am lost as to get a system like that. I've seen a lot of pipe makers use this and just don't know what to search for.

Currently using a belt sander and would like to upgrade to a setup like this.

Also was thinking about getting a lathe, but that still doesn't answer my question about the sanding pads.

Any info would be killer.

I also have a 6" bench grinder for buffing and was hoping I could use something for that, but I'm having a hell of a time finding 5-6" sanding pads with a 1/2" arbor.
DocAitch

Re: Information about this tool?

Post by DocAitch »

The tool is a French wheel. essentially a padded disc with a second disc to hold the folded sand paper on. I have a tutorial on the Pipe Makers Facebook page on how I use plain sand paper on mine (June 8,2018- I am Walter Hettinger on FB)
I have also seen fatter French wheels made of wood, and I have an Aluminum one which I don’t like as well as the plexiglass ones from J Alan.
Vermont Freehand carries several sizes of the J Alan french wheel, as well as the Beall arbor which can help convert a motor to use it. You need a 1/2”x20 (I think) on your motor shaft to accept the Beall arbor.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
sgmccleery

Post by sgmccleery »

Ahhhh ok. Thanks so much for the information. I have been reading about the french wheel on here not really knowing what it was.

Wow, those are expensive! Looks like I'm off to youtube for DIY french wheels, I will be visiting Vermont Freehand in the future though.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

couple of photos, excuse the mess. The plexiglass wheel is on the arbor, the aluminum one is on the bench. That hood is a cat litter container, the opening accepts a 2 1/2” hose with a foo friction fit.
Yes you can make a French wheel, several folks on the forum do so.
DocAitch.
cpd2186

Post by cpd2186 »

I'm sorry to ask this but how much padding is needed for the french wheel? What is the best material to use for padding? I have searched and cant find a photo of the padding on the disc, it's usually a photo of the back side. Thanks for help!
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

The material appears to be felt, about 1/8” thick and it may taper toward the edge. I never really looked at a new one.
DocAitch
cpd2186

Post by cpd2186 »

DocAitch wrote:The material appears to be felt, about 1/8” thick and it may taper toward the edge. I never really looked at a new one.
DocAitch
Thank you!!!