bending acrylic

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
bscofield

bending acrylic

Post by bscofield »

Does bending acrylic work the same way as ebonite? How does the surface react to the heat? My question this time is about a repair :?

I got my first meer (a really cool blowfish) and after smoking it my first time I left it in a car. Well apparently it got a LOT hotter than I expected it to and the stem straightened out on it! So now I have to fix it. It won't even fit in it's case it straightened so much. Maybe I should just put it back in another hot car and re-bend afterwards?

Thoughts?
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Ben,

The procedure for bending acrylic is basically the same, but it seems to me that acrylic has a much smaller temp range between plastic and solid.

When I bend vulcanite, I get it bendable, and have plenty of time to put the pipe down, put on a glove and do the bend. With acrylic, you have to work a little quicker, because it seems to harden suddenly, where vulcanite hardens pretty gradually.

You also have to be more careful about blistering with acrylic. Just don't leave the heat in one spot for too long, and you'll be ok.

Rad
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

BTW, I saw the pics of that meer you got. Very pretty!

Rad
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Thanks Rad! Helpful as always!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I forgot to mention:

When acrylic starts to set, don't think that you can get just a little more bend as it's hardening the way you can with vulcanite. You can snap the stem with not a lot of effort. I'm speaking from experience. :lol:

Rad
marks

Post by marks »

Ben I always stuff as many pipe cleaners in the stem as I can get in there to keep the airway open. Don't know if it really makes a difference, but I do it anyway.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

marks wrote:Ben I always stuff as many pipe cleaners in the stem as I can get in there to keep the airway open. Don't know if it really makes a difference, but I do it anyway.
One thing to watch for, if you're going to do that, is that you don't have the airway expading as the stem heats up. You can something akin to a driveshaft hump going from one end of the bend to the other if you're not careful. This is esecially true as you start making pipes with thinner and thinner stems.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
magruder

Post by magruder »

Hey Kurt/anyone,
I always thought it would be great to have a rod that could be inserted in the stem to preserve the airway dimensions during bending.
Such a rod would have to be smooth, heat resistant, flexible and thin enough
to maintain the thin stem airway.

Whoa! While typing this I had a brainstorm - flatwound Elec. Bass strings!

Being flatwound, they are smooth and I'll bet the right guage exists to do the job.:thumb:
Any bass players out there???
Anyone care to comment?
Best to all,
Steve
[ Perhaps this is proof I am not as dumb as I look 8)-perhaps. ]
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

My brother is a bass player... I'll try this out and report back!
magruder

Post by magruder »

Please do. I hope he plays flatwound strings. :thumb:
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

This might turn out a real good Idea. :thumb: :thumb:

Could have some issue to care for: Since metal will probably lead the heat better than the stem material, there might be some risk, that the inside of the stem gets hotter than without the string in it. Then it might melt to some extent and stick to the string. Not really likely to happen, but would be a pain if it did. Just a suggestion that came to my mind, when I thought about that process.
Besides that it seems a perfect tip. Maybe we all should get some shares of some string manufactuers…
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

magruder wrote:Hey Kurt/anyone,
I always thought it would be great to have a rod that could be inserted in the stem to preserve the airway dimensions during bending.
Such a rod would have to be smooth, heat resistant, flexible and thin enough
to maintain the thin stem airway.

Whoa! While typing this I had a brainstorm - flatwound Elec. Bass strings!

Being flatwound, they are smooth and I'll bet the right guage exists to do the job.
Maybe, except you wouldn't be able to insert it into the tenon end and have it pass all the way through the button. I don't know about anyone else, but my button has a slit that's only about 1mm high, while the airway is tapered from 5/32 at the tenon down to a flat, wide cone near the button. The cone is the same height as the slit - so only 1mm.

I just use the super-extra-fluffy pipe cleaners. Sometimes I find that folding the cleaner so that it overlapping itself by about 1/3 can help support the airway, but I don't like to stuff the airway too full since it can expand it slightly and spoil the lines of the stem.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I never put anything in the stem when I bend.

Rad
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

RadDavis wrote:I never put anything in the stem when I bend.

Rad
Same here. Lucite, Ebonite, Cumberland etc I've never had a stem narrow to the point where I'd be worried about airflow issues.
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I just heat the stem over an alchohol lamp, being careful not to allow it to start to fizzle, and bend the stem. I cool it off with some alchohol and a wool dauber.

Works well.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
magruder

Post by magruder »

I don't put anything in the airway when I bend either, but being able to preserve the airway dimensions during some "experimental" bending would be nice.
Best,
Steve
jeff

Post by jeff »

Steve,

Your post reminded me of a pipe I saw in Chicago. Heiko Jahr and I were visiting with Wolfgang Becker in his room before the show began to see his new offerings. Wolfgang had some amazing pipes there, but one in particular caught my eye because of the stem. It had been twisted 180 degrees! Wolfgang had been experimenting with this piece and it was not for sale. He had been smoking it himself and said that it smoked very well and that the twisting did not cause any noticable constriction of the airway. Given the compound bend (twisted and bent) I'm just going to stick my neck out and guess that it is quite likely that he had a cleaner down that airway while bending it. :) Although it was a very unique and cool pipe, I doubt that he'll ever make any for sale judging from the look that was on his face as he showed it to me.

Jeff
marks

Post by marks »

Good points guys. When I made my original post in this thread, I was thinking of how I bend stems that are not yet finished (I have not worked with premade stems in some time). When I bend a stem, I still have a lot of shaping to do after the bending, so I run little if any risk of creating a ridge along the center of the stem from any cleaners in the airway. However, I can see how that could occur when re-bending a finished stem or bending a stem that is very near the final thickness.
magruder

Post by magruder »

Good points guys. When I made my original post in this thread, I was thinking of how I bend stems that are not yet finished (I have not worked with premade stems in some time). When I bend a stem, I still have a lot of shaping to do after the bending, so I run little if any risk of creating a ridge along the center of the stem from any cleaners in the airway. However, I can see how that could occur when re-bending a finished stem or bending a stem that is very near the final thickness.
This causes me to ask who bends their stems before final sanding and who does not and why ??

Thanx,
-Steve
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

magruder wrote:
This causes me to ask who bends their stems before final sanding and who does not and why ??

Thanx,
-Steve
Steve I've only recently started bending my stems before final sanding (and sooner sometimes) because its allows me to tweak and adjust the lines and flow. Before, when I did the bending last, I would end up where the stem didn't follow the lines of the pipe like I wanted them too so I ended up redoing them.

Dave