Shaping on a bandsaw

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
LatakiaLover

Shaping on a bandsaw

Post by LatakiaLover »

This particular production-enhancing technique (it seems all the Italian outfits do it to fairly heavy extent) is also why their pipes look so much alike. The tools dictate the form.

Either because there was a camera in the room and his ego took over, or because he actually does it this way all the time (!?), this guy gets as close as possible to a final/usable shape on the saw.

(the video is already queued up)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1QHIAzIrf4&t=6m2s
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
caskwith

Re: Shaping on a bandsaw

Post by caskwith »

As a regular bandsaw user watching someone do that makes me feel a little queasy.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

IAWC. I dont use one at all, and it really made me uneasy. I have managed to cut myself on my Japanese pull saw.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

I sometimes try to get as close as possible on the bandsaw, that includes cutting the profile as well as the top view, and some angled cuts but I never change the angle of the pipe during a cut and I don't cut curves while the pipe is half raised above the table, that's kinda dangerous on my saw/with my blade. I think those big old saws that are very stable and smooth combined with just the right blade would make the process much less scary, still a 36 grit wheel at 2800rpm rpm isn't much slower and it's far safer I think.