Vauen Purism Inspired

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Doug535

Vauen Purism Inspired

Post by Doug535 »

Finished this one up the other day. Balance could be better, if a fly landed on the stem it'd tip.
https://imgur.com/a/WHDb1xA
Sasquatch

Re: Vauen Purism Inspired

Post by Sasquatch »

Symmetry and overall execution look pretty good. I think what needs to be decided is whether there's a curve on the top (or the bottom for that matter) of the pipe, heading into the stem, or not. The shape lacks a little grace here because of that I think- the stem has a slight curve (and a slight bulge) and the pipe... kinda sorta mostly doesn't.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Sas got it. It really needs a consistent taper along the top and bottom lines of the shank. On the top, from the very front of the bowl to the bit. And on the bottom, from the bowl to the bit. Them you get rid of the bit of bulge in the stem and the lines will be much cleaner.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

Thanks guy's, in doing this shape I did run into the problem of the airway vs mortise vs stem coming all together, if that makes sense. when it came to doing the stem I did a reverse bend (upward) to try to combat this problem, just didn't do enough I suppose. A longer stem may have helped with that too, but I cut the bowl a little too short and should have left more on the forward end to combat the weight of the stem so it would sit. Next time I will account for that.