Bandsaw

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
kasperbunk

Bandsaw

Post by kasperbunk »

Any knowlegde about min. watt requirements.
I have tested a small 250w mashine on briar. It was NOT good! Right nok i have a 750w elektrum bas315 medium sized bandsaw. But I am struggeling with this machine. The upper blade guide broke. I replaced it. Now the lower bladeguide snaped! Maybe a combination between general bad quality both on machine and the blade being used. Or maybe it is so so bad adjusted! But i have ben throug all the guides on youtube:-(.
So in all my struggles i would like a small machine with good enough power to cut briar.
PS. I am located i EU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sandahlpipe

Re: Bandsaw

Post by sandahlpipe »

That should be adequate for cutting briar. For setting up a bandsaw, watch this video here. You want to be sure the guides are brought to the place where the blade wants to be. They shouldn't actually touch the blade. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

And if you're seeing things snap, that's probably because you're trying to force it and/or you're using the wrong blade for the job. I like to use a 3/8" blade with 8-10TPI. You don't want to use more than light pressure to feed the piece through the blade. I had the motor burn out on my bandsaw that was in about that size. I'd been using it steadily for 5 years, and it was 30 years old to start with. Now I have a 2HP Grizzly that I can also use to resaw large logs. I've seen people use small bench top units just fine. The issue is very unlikely to be the bandsaw, and much more likely to be the correct blade for the job, proper tension, and proper guide setup.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
kasperbunk

Post by kasperbunk »

2240mm x 10mm but only 6 or 10 tpi exists here in Europe i Think. I can not find any 8 tpi.
Is 10 tpi too fine? Doesent the sawdust get stuck with 10tpi?

caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I use 10tpi and it works great. I have used 14tpi and they are fine but a little slow. I find 6 tpi too aggressive and "grabby".
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I use a dust collector when I'm doing larger cuts, but I think 10 TPI is fine. Fewer TPI blades are used for resawing and faster cuts. They go together with wider blades. Thinner blades with more TPI will let you cut curves more smoothly. 1/8" blades can drift more easily if you're not careful, whereas 1/4 or 3/8" blades will make cutting straight lines a little easier. Anything over 3/8" is too hard to cut a curve with.

But I think the important point here is to set it up properly with whatever blade you can find. Proper setup and letting the tool do the work are more important than selecting a specific blade.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
kasperbunk

Post by kasperbunk »

Thank you so much for some good advice guys! I’ll try setting it up with a new blade, happy thoughts and a gentle touch:-)

caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Sharp blade is essential.

Your saw should have no problem, it is the same size as my saw and I only have a 550W motor, I cut up Morta logs on mine with no trouble at all.

I think your problems are dull blade and a poorly set up machine. A 750W bandsaw is a powerful tool more than capable of cutting up briar which is an easy wood to work with. My first bandsaw was a small 56" blade model, 300W motor, I used it for several years to cut big chunks of wood.