Ugh...

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
JMG

Ugh...

Post by JMG »

First stem, too thin at the bit. Second (current) too thin at the barrel...on to the third. *Sigh*

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Quietfly

Re: Ugh...

Post by Quietfly »

I know the pain brother!!!!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Tape ze sides! Tape ze sides!
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
JMG

Post by JMG »

LatakiaLover wrote:Tape ze sides! Tape ze sides!
I know, I know...I'm an idiot. I also have got to manage some self-control and stop working the files earlier as I will think I have plenty of meat left, and then POOF! The bit is at 3mm before even doing any finish sanding.

This third stem is not perfect by any means, but I feel like I can hold my head up high for giving it the old college try. In order to keep the blade as thin as it is I had to change the internals and drill differently than normal and do a lot of hand work to widen out the draft hole that was drilled with smaller bits. I also shortened the barrel/lengthened the blade on this last attempt. Lastly, I gave it more of a flare towards the bit. The flare could be a more symmetrical, but overall I'm much happier with this stem...not happy, but happier. Oh, I also darkened the stain just a bit. It's still pretty purple, just darker.

I found out that I absolutely hate making a saddle stem with a long blade.

RickB

Post by RickB »

You know, I've done this ever since seeing you recommend it, and I'm yet to sand into an airway or get anything too thin. Such an easy step that makes such a difference.
Rule of thumb David Huber gave me was to shoot for 6mm where it comes off the shoulder and 4mm at the button. Leaving that tape on lets you keep an eye on that taper, and then after sanding and buffing I'll be right at about 3.8mm. Getting that edge profile looking good is something I still wrestle with, although I'm getting better.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
JMG

Post by JMG »

RickB wrote:
You know, I've done this ever since seeing you recommend it, and I'm yet to sand into an airway or get anything too thin. Such an easy step that makes such a difference.
Rule of thumb David Huber gave me was to shoot for 6mm where it comes off the shoulder and 4mm at the button. Leaving that tape on lets you keep an eye on that taper, and then after sanding and buffing I'll be right at about 3.8mm. Getting that edge profile looking good is something I still wrestle with, although I'm getting better.
One of my biggest issues on this one was not leaving enough thickness on the blade at the barrel end. This pipe was such a small diameter shank that it hardly had any slope from barrel to blade if I left much thickness there. I'll definitely be giving long bladed saddle bits more tries and effort, but not straight away. After three attempts I need to go for an easy win on the next one, :D