Squat Tomato...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMG

Squat Tomato...

Post by JMG »

Well, some good things and bad things. For me, this is probably the best shaped stummel I've produced yet. I'm also fairly pleased with the finish on it. The stem...well, I got the stem too thin. Down to 3.5mm. The other stem issue is that while I was heating it to bend, I had inserted the tenon into a dowel made of pine. Well, the pine got too hot and a fair amount of sap weeped onto the stem...it was a mess. It did not want to come off. So I chuck it in the lathe and and refaced it trying to take off the smallest possible amount of material. This was dumb of me. Once it was on the pipe, of course, it did not line up smoothly with the shank anymore. Not bad, hardly noticeable, but I notice it. Lastly, I stamped all manner of cattywompous. I'm probably going to keep this for myself. I'll probably smoke it for a while and give it away as a gift. I learned a good deal from it though, so not all is lost.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
sandahlpipe

Re: Squat Tomato...

Post by sandahlpipe »

It’s very nice. I can relate to the issues around the finish line. If I can offer one suggestion on the shape, it’s that the profile of the rim looks flat. I think if you canted the bowl a bit in either direction, it would give you more movement. It’s not wrong the way it is, though, so it’s just an idea to explore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

sandahlpipe wrote:It’s very nice. I can relate to the issues around the finish line. If I can offer one suggestion on the shape, it’s that the profile of the rim looks flat. I think if you canted the bowl a bit in either direction, it would give you more movement. It’s not wrong the way it is, though, so it’s just an idea to explore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, bud. Premal actually coached me a bit to take more off of the chin in order to give it a little more movement as well. I did take a little off per his recommendation, but was worried about going to far. Hopefully finding that sweet spot will come with some more practice.
Last edited by JMG on Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Very nice, John Michael.
That sort of symmetry is difficult to achieve. I am only now learning that myself..
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy