Dublin Nose warmer maybe????

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Jeff_Grivers

Dublin Nose warmer maybe????

Post by Jeff_Grivers »

Hi guys, I had a small block and a small piece of acrylic rod left so i tried to make a small Dublin nose warmer but the shank doesn't really look like a true Dublin style to me almost more like a bent Billard. This is only my second stem made from scratch. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_2872.JPG
(245.23 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
IMG_2871.JPG
(172.98 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
IMG_2869.JPG
(200.62 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
IMG_2868.JPG
(180.88 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
IMG_2866.JPG
(97.95 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
DocAitch

Re: Dublin Nose warmer maybe????

Post by DocAitch »

Pretty nicely done.
A shot of the bottom for a look at the transition and some of the button and slot might allow some more comments, but this is an attractive pipe.
A small bevel at the lip of the chamber would reduce ignition points for the briar.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Jeff_Grivers

Post by Jeff_Grivers »

DocAitch wrote:Pretty nicely done.
A shot of the bottom for a look at the transition and some of the button and slot might allow some more comments, but this is an attractive pipe.
A small bevel at the lip of the chamber would reduce ignition points for the briar.
DocAitch

Thanks for the feed back Doc. Here are those shots as best i could get at work. I need to come up with a better setup for photos as i would like to start advertising them here and there.
Attachments
IMG_2876.JPG
(71.72 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
IMG_2874.JPG
(175.82 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
IMG_2873.JPG
(168.54 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Still an attractive pipe.
The bottom on photo is little oblique, so I can’t comment on symmetry. It does look like the transition could ne crisper.
The slot and airway also could be smoother. Try and check out stemwork by Scottie Piersel, Jason Thompson, Emmanuel Atilano or any other artisan than you can get your hands on.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Jeff_Grivers

Post by Jeff_Grivers »

Ya i struggle with getting the stem all cut down evenly and to be proportional on all sides when i dont have a mark to go off of like on a pre formed stem. Cutting them down from rod stock i feel like i have trouble knowing were to stop the small curve on the top and bottom of stem and having the edged come to somewhat of a "point" making all these lines meet up to have a super smooth transition and make it look right is F%(8ing hard lol. I need to refine or just plain old come up with a better method in taking down the material to transform from the rod cylindrical shape to that nice curvy, thin, flat stem everyone likes. I need to look up more videos on how some of the pros start shaping their stems. Thanks again Doc.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Jeff_Grivers wrote:Ya i struggle with getting the stem all cut down evenly and to be proportional on all sides when i dont have a mark to go off of like on a pre formed stem. Cutting them down from rod stock i feel like i have trouble knowing were to stop the small curve on the top and bottom of stem and having the edged come to somewhat of a "point" making all these lines meet up to have a super smooth transition and make it look right is F%(8ing hard lol. I need to refine or just plain old come up with a better method in taking down the material to transform from the rod cylindrical shape to that nice curvy, thin, flat stem everyone likes. I need to look up more videos on how some of the pros start shaping their stems.
Parts 4 through 10:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... _twWicJIfB
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Jeff_Grivers

Post by Jeff_Grivers »

Awesome thanks George. I am going to watch it now as i am working on a stem for my next pipe.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

With all due respect to Robert Duvall: "I love the smell of burning nose hair in the morning".