NAPC Entry-My Gratitude to Members of the Pipe Maker’s Forum

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
DocAitch

NAPC Entry-My Gratitude to Members of the Pipe Maker’s Forum

Post by DocAitch »

I am still floating on air after having had my entry selected for the set of seven for this years NAPC contest, and pondering how I did this.
As many of you know, I was a fairly prolific producer of pipe turds during the 1970s, gave up pipe making to pursue medicine for 40 years, and returned to the craft when I retired in late 2015.
I would still be producing turds if not for this forum.
While I was working on my entry, I had a bunch of people standing over my shoulder, reminding me of how to to all of the little things involved in making an artisan pipe rather than a turd.
Shaping- Todd Bannard, George Dibos, Walt Cannoy, Premal Chheda and Jeremiah Sandahl were all there critiquing line and balance and especially transition.
Drilling the stummel- Scott Thile and ?Kurt Hahn? With the freehand drilling (thank you for that Pipedia article, Scott).
Tobacco Chamber- I believe Jesse Jones pointed out that a ragged draft hole entry into the chamber was an ignition point for a burn out
Mortise - Jeremiah Sandahl and Jason Thompson with stabilizing the mortise.
Delrin tenon- Todd Johnson and Jason Thompson
Stem- George Dibos, Premal Chheda, Jason Thompson, Emmanuel Atilano, Seamonster, Scottie Piersel , Joe Hinkle,(some of this I read on the forum, watched George’s videos, or actually handled their finished products) I have visited Premal’s shop several times and see Jason once or twice a month locally. Jeremiah also pointed out that I could sand and polish the draft hole, and Seamonster pointed out that a good airway will pass a fluffy cleaner in both directions (or maybe that was Jesse Jones)
Finish- Todd Bannard was there with “ sand paper is cheap”, and “shop bears” ( I always smile, even as I curse, when I spot the claw marks of these critters). George’s video “ Finishing behind the button” is always running through my head whenever I get to that end of the stem. Premal also gave me tips on finish application after staining.
Slot- Joe Hinkle’s prince was my first look at a great slot, and several of Scottie’s pieces, as well as Jason Thompsons stuff are all present for comparison and admiration.
Blasting- Jason allowed me to use his set up, after which I was inspired to cobble together my own set up. I also had George standing over my shoulder when I blasted and blended my stem shank transition and stamp area (my first attempt).
Special thanks to Premal Chheda who was kind enough to examine some of my work and point out where I could have done better. This NAPC entry reflects a discussion of the transition and of the top of the bowl that I had with Premal ( and Jeremiah’s remark that “flat tops are boring”.)
And finally, while I was poring over the finished product, George’s discussion of “gleam lines” was running in the background.
I am sure that I have missed crediting some vital tips and information, because as Todd Bannard says, there are 300 little things that go into making an artisan pipe, and if I am using them, I learned them from Members of this forum.
Thank You, ladies and gentlemen.
DocAitch aka Walt Hettinger aka “the guy older than George Dibos”
Last edited by DocAitch on Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
JMG

Re: NAPC Entry-My Gratitude to Members of the Pipe Maker’s F

Post by JMG »

This is a great testimony to the pipe making community. Well written.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
RickB

Post by RickB »

JMG wrote:This is a great testimony to the pipe making community. Well written.
Exactly that.
Another fantastic and well-earned example of "this place works".
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Hey Doc, congrats on the selection. You've worked real hard to get up to speed on the "modern" American pipe making scene.

You're a gentleman and a scholar.

For anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of meeting Doc H in person, he's a real easy guy to get along with.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

This is simply another example of how the "school" of pipemakersforum works. If you follow all the advice in this archive your pipes will improve. I wonder if Tyler and Kurt knew they were raising the standard for a high quality pipe in North America, and maybe even improving quality worldwide.

Congratulations, Doc. You deserve it!
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Well done on your success, I think a big key to that fact is that my name doesn't appear on your list of helpers, that would have really screwed you up :lol:
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Actually you are there Chris, just in the apology to the stuff that I didn’t attribute
Thank you.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy