author

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Doug535

author

Post by Doug535 »

Self critique, after screwing up the first stem on this. I should have shaved a bit more off the top of the stem, could have had a cleaner edge on the stem at the transition (roundwise) and I still need more work on the bite zone, although probably the cleanest one to date. Also a first for me doing a precarb in the bowl, I think it turned out ok though you can't really tell in the pic. Any and all other critique is most welcome.

sandahlpipe

Re: author

Post by sandahlpipe »

The rim appears to be thinner on the back of the bowl than the front. I think that leaves the whole pipe feeling front-heavy where the bulk of the material on the bowl is forward of the chamber.
The other thing is the bottom line. On a good author, that line is a nice swooping curve. A bit more material off the underside of the stem and leave just a little more under the shank the next time.
Finally, the cheeks are cut too far into the bowl. This gets back to the rim not being quite symmetrical as well. As you shape the shank side of the bowl, you want to continue the line from the rim to the top shank with the same curve as the front of the bowl around the bottom 1/2. The goal is to make the bowl and shank distinct, but unified as if it's one piece. At the moment, you have one thing going on with the bowl, another with the shank, and another with the stem.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

IAWS

This isn't spot on ('tis a quickie), but should get your eye moving in the right direction:

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

Jeremiah, thanks for taking the time to give me feedback. I will get started on another and see if I can get it right. I think the angle I took the pic of the top of bowl is off causing it to look thinner at the shank side. Will take a better pic, not that it matters on this one now.