Compressor for sandblasting

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
kasperbunk

Compressor for sandblasting

Post by kasperbunk »

Hello pipemakers.
Is this compressor big enough for sandblasting?
It is in a price range i can cope with.

https://www.harald-nyborg.dk/p7217/stan ... -2-0hk-50l
caskwith

Re: Compressor for sandblasting

Post by caskwith »

It will take a very long time! I have a 4HP, 200L and it's still a bit on the small side.
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

No, save your money till you can get the right one
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
kasperbunk

Post by kasperbunk »

But on a budget, and still pibemaking some sort og hobby.
The cheapist possible? Size?
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Some things can't be done on a budget I am afraid. Second hand might be better for you?
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

If you must spend the money call me
So I can tell you how to send it to me.
Trust me save the money or buy briar
kasperbunk

Post by kasperbunk »

But could someone please recomend a size that works. NOT a “nice to have” but a size that will work. Secondhand always. But i have to look in the right direction on what to get. Seems to me that a sandblasting setup i the most expensive thing in pipemaking. Spending 1700-2000 on a compressor seems extreme?
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Minimum CFM of 15@90psi. I’m not sure how that translates into European specifications. But there is a point when the blast gun won’t pick up anything and you’ll just be spraying air at your pipe. Air blasting takes a really long time to get your briar textured.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

kasperbunk wrote:But could someone please recomend a size that works. NOT a “nice to have” but a size that will work. Secondhand always. But i have to look in the right direction on what to get. Seems to me that a sandblasting setup i the most expensive thing in pipemaking. Spending 1700-2000 on a compressor seems extreme?
Read this its gospel viewtopic.php?f=43&t=11695
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

As I said, I have a 4HP 200L compressor. I think it is just under 14cfm at 90psi. It works alright, bigger would certainly be better but I can manage with it. Cost me just under £1000 brand new.
I couldn't get anything bigger without getting 3phase installed and while a bigger 3phase compressor was actually cheaper to buy, the cost of installing the 3Ph was thousands of £'s potentially.
Massis

Post by Massis »

I have a 5hp 3phase 270L which is more than adequate. I wouldn't go below what Chris is running. 4hp and 200L sounds like the minimum to my limited experience.
kasperbunk

Post by kasperbunk »

Thanks for some great response!
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

There are a couple of factors involved. Jason Thompson uses a 20 gallon compressor, and gets a good blast, but only has only about 30 seconds of decent pressure and flow, then must wait for the compressor to reload to a decent pressure. This makes a sandblast a bit tedious. Your pictured unit looks like 20 gal tank, but the compressor unit looks small. Expect a significant wait for a short period of blasting.
The larger the motor and compressor, the more quickly it restores pressure, and the larger the tank, the longer you will have decent flow. You can add a tank in line with your gun and that may help.
It depends on your level of patience as much as anything else.
I am using a 220 V 5 hp, 80 gallon unit from Harbor Freight which was less than $1000 US, and the compressor and cabinet were a gift, so I am not in your dilemma. My unit can be run continuously, which is the ideal.
You could also look for a used unit on your equivalent to Craig List.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Massis

Post by Massis »

The problem is not only in waiting for the tank to refill. I did that on my first sandblast which used a 100L (25gal) 2HP compressor. It took roughly 3 hours.

The problem is that the second you start blasting, you start losing pressure. So you start at 90psi, and 15 seconds later you only have 60 psi left. In short: your blasting power will constantly fluctuate, making it really hard to get a nice and even blast.

With my current 270L (71 gal) tank, I blast at 90 psi with 145 psi in the tank, so there's plenty of capacity left. It takes about 2 minutes of continuous blasting before my pressure drops from 90 psi to 80/85-ish, at which point the compressor kicks in and takes it back up to 145 while I continue blasting.
So my pressure only ever fluctuates between 80 and 90psi orso, which has little or no effect on my blast.

Look at it as if you're playing the bagpipes. As long as you can squeeze and keep the pressure constant, the sound remains nice and even. Once the bag is empty, you can squeeze all you want but you won't hear a thing. You have to fill the bag up again to continue playing.
A small compressor delivers less air than you consume playing (blasting), so you have to wait until it's full before you start playing again. A big one has enough power to allow playing the pipes whilst filling the bag using the rest of the power.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Excellent analogy.
DA
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Except the sound coming from the sandblaster and air compressor is so much prettier than bagpipes...
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I think Jordan Cooper (Kilted Pipe Guy on PSD) might have a different opinion.:) :) :)
Besides, who marches into battle behind an air compressor?
DocAitch
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

And you guys call yourselves pipe makers... :roll:

Compressor motor? Stop dickin' around and just get with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6u6HceG3Fw&t=0m20s
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I’ve got two of those in my truck, the second one is for reverse
DocAitch
Jthompson1995

Post by Jthompson1995 »

Just to stir things up a bit more, I have a small compressor, 2hp/5.1 cfm@90 psi/10 gallon, that I use so it can be done with a smaller machine. I start blasting at 120 psi and, as DocAitch said, the pressure drops after about 30 seconds but my compressor has a very efficient pump and will maintain 90 psi continuously. It does take me longer, about an hour, to blast a pipe but I have exchanged the orifice insert and the nozzle to maximize the effectiveness of my setup. Before I switched things it would take 2-3 times as long.

I would save up for a larger compressor but i would have to upgrade the power service to my house to be able to have enough power to run it and everything else (my wife is not keen on the idea of the AC not being on when I'm blasting pipes) so the cost is prohibitive for the time being. It doesn't hurt that my small compressor is extremely quiet, such that I can have a normal conversation next to it when it's running.

It is ideal to get a compressor that puts out 25 cfm at 90-120 psi but getting something that will get you blasting, even if it takes longer, can work for your situation.
Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget