Bulk Briar Orders

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Rbraniganpipes

Bulk Briar Orders

Post by Rbraniganpipes »

Hello everyone.

For a while now I have wanted to place a larger order of briar blocks to store for future pipes. I am interested in purchasing some blocks from Mimmo or Makis directly.

I had a few questions that I felt you might be able to answer before I reach out to them.

If I do order, would I have to pay a customs charge when my order arrives to the US? At this point, I wouldn't be able to spend more than $1000, if that helps your answer and gives you insight into what a large order for me might be.

Can you give me a rough idea of what you typically might pay in shipping costs for your orders?

At what amount would you say I would have to order to make it cost effective for myself, rather than ordering directly from Steve, as I normally do? I am trying to figure costs of blocks, shipping, and then customs charges to see if it might be worth while.

Do you have issues with customs with the bark on the plateaux blocks you order?

I saw Sas had a post a few years ago about needing a special permit to have blocks imported into Canada. Does the US have anything like that nowadays ?

Does anyone have a current price list for either briar cutter that they wouldn't mind sharing?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
R.Branigan Pipes
wdteipen

Re: Bulk Briar Orders

Post by wdteipen »

It isn't worth the few bucks you may or may not save. Purchase from Steve and avoid the headaches and snafus of customs. Seriously, there are literally no benefits to purchasing direct from the mill versus purchasing from Steve. I've done it both ways.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I have bought direct from Mimmo before. I didn't have any issues when I did. The price was probably a few bucks cheaper than buying from Steve. I've heard that you can get his grade I blocks only directly. I have yet to do that. But for now, I'm more than happy to buy from Steve directly simply because he brings so much briar to the Chicago show and I can go in and hand pick the blocks I want. Steve also knows how to read a block, so he'll send you good stuff in the mail as well.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I’ve purchased from Mimmo and Jon Haume (spelling?) and the orders came through without difficulty, but that may have been pure luck. I plan on seeing the folks from VF in Chicago this May.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Some time back I placed a small order directly with Mimmo. It was shipped via FedEx with no issues other than a few days after receipt I get a bill from FedEx for the customs fees. OUCH!
I have enough briar now at my rate of usage to last me the rest of my days. I accumulated it thru Steve and by buying out stock from several carvers that were calling it quits. I got some really nice stuff at really good prices by way of the latter. Luck.
Massis

Post by Massis »

DocAitch wrote:I’ve purchased from Mimmo and Jon Haume (spelling?) and the orders came through without difficulty, but that may have been pure luck. I plan on seeing the folks from VF in Chicago this May.
DocAitch
Jaume Hom, but apparently he retired last year, his website is no longer online either...
Rbraniganpipes

Post by Rbraniganpipes »

I appreciate all of your input. I am going to place an order with Steve in the near future once he gets re-stocked after the Chicago show. I am sure all of you guys who can make it out there will take your pick of the best blocks available at that time, and rightfully so. I feel as though it would be smart for me to wait for him to get re-stocked before placing my order. Best of luck to everyone traveling to the Chicago Show this year! I hope to meet you all there in the years to come.
R.Branigan Pipes