How to respond to qestions from the general public...

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Rbraniganpipes

How to respond to qestions from the general public...

Post by Rbraniganpipes »

Hey guys and gals,

I wanted to start a topic and pose a question to you all.

How do you respond to questions from the general public in regards to your techniques for creating pipes and or finishing your pipes?

I have been privileged to learned all that I know from many of you here on the forum who have been gracious enough to share your knowledge with someone such as myself who is passionate about pursuing the art of pipe making. I want to continue on that same tradition of sharing my knowledge with other potential pipe makers who as eager to pursue the craft and have done research on their own to gain a general knowledge of the materials, supplies and techniques that are used in the craft. What I don't want to do is give away knowledge to the general public that reveals what myself or other pipe makers may be doing in their process of creating something unique.

I feel as though there is a fine line to walk when responding to those types of questions. I don't want to be "that guy" who shares information that was told to me in confidence, nor give someone information that they could find for themselves but haven't taken the time to look for.

Am I wrong in thinking that a pipe maker's finishing technique is a tightly lipped secret? I feel as though that has always been a common thread on the forum, yet may not be something that the general public is aware of. Out of respect for those who have shared things with me, I tend to keep silent when it comes to these things, especially when asked by someone who is not pursuing the craft.

What do you all think? What would your response be?
R.Branigan Pipes
dogcatcher

Re: How to respond to qestions from the general public...

Post by dogcatcher »

I am willing to share just about everything I know. There are not many "real" secrets, if one has the time they can pretty well figure out everything just using Google. The "real" secrets are the little things, the things that work for one person, but another does it a little differently. Those are not taught, they are "learned" through trial and error.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

My response depends greatly on who's asking. If they're a pipe maker and want to learn for themselves, I generally recommend Flexner's book and reading through PMF. I might give them some tips on proper prep before finishing. The standard sand, stain, wax kind of finish isn't really a secret, but when you get into pore filling, shellac application, etc. That's where it's too much detail for a conversation anyways. Furthermore, if you just finish the exact way someone taught you and you don't experiment with other options, you're shortchanging yourself. Part of the reason for not sharing exact finishing techniques is that different finishes can be used more effectively than others under some circumstances. TIAFO is sometimes the only way to get the right result.

If someone is asking and they're a potential customer, what I presume they want to know isn't as much how each step is done, but that it's done with great care and years of tweaking and perfecting to get just the right amount of shine and durability.

In neither case do I share the specific products I use, just that I use the best available to me.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
RickB

Post by RickB »

If there are trade secrets that can't be gleaned from digging through this forum, then I don't know them. It's taken me an embarrassingly long time to realize that 99+% of making a good pipe is in the proper execution of stuff that everyone knows.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
RickB

Post by RickB »

sandahlpipe wrote:...I generally recommend Flexner's book and reading through PMF.
And this is some of the best (but easily overlooked) advice on here with regards to that topic, or at least it has been for me.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Go watch a world-class musician in concert. Everyone there can see everything they do.

Everything.

From their instrument and technique, to what they wear and how they stand or sit.

You want to be a world-class musician also? No problem. Feel free to copy all that you see and hear. They won't mind.

Let us know how that goes. :mrgreen:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

If you learned it from this forum, then it's public knowledge and there is no harm in sharing it. If you learned it from another pipe maker while in their shop or on the phone with them and it had the feeling of a private conversation, then I would be more cautious about sharing. When trade secrets have been shared with me, it has often been preceded by, "Don't share this with anyone" or something to that effect. People do work hard to develop certain unique processes and it's only fair to respect that.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
Rbraniganpipes

Post by Rbraniganpipes »

Thank you all for your input. I am glad we all see things from the same perspective. I absolutely want to be respectful of those that have shared their knowledge and tips and secrets.

Jeremiah, I absolutely agree with you. " if you just finish the exact way someone taught you and you don't experiment with other options, you're shortchanging yourself."

Latakialover, I love your response, and I respect that! I completely understand that in that moment of observation in concert you don't see the years and years of trials, failure, pain and agony as they learned all that they know through trial and error and countless years of continuous practice to improve their skills.

Mightysmurf, you are exactly right, and that is always my approach to responding to those types of inquiries from the general public.

RickB, Also a great suggestion. The forum is a great place to learn as much as you can about almost everything you might want to know. It is a great place to direct people to find the right answer to many questions.
R.Branigan Pipes
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

The bottom line is you still have to put the work in.There's no magic pill.
You received many people's knowledge here freely so if there is any secrets rest assured
They didn't tell you anything else is fair game and common info so I don't think anyone
Is going to get angry it's not National security :)
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Mostly I talk fairly openly. I won't discuss finishing with strangers, cuz I don't feel like explaining the technical differences between shellac and nitro to someone who has never finished a piece of wood, or having a fight with the "sand to 250000 grit then apply salad oil" crowd.

There's a few secrets I won't talk about at all except in person, but it's few and far between and largely not important stuff.

But yeah... mostly this shit just isn't about a single tidbit of info being a gamechanger. My finishing techniques work... for me.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

...or having a fight with the "sand to 250000 grit then apply salad oil"
Yeah, right? :nuts:

Especially when every idiot on Earth knows you have to go to 300000, and only 50 weight motor oil gives briar that special gleam.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Oh, Mr Giving-Up-The-Big-Secrets strikes again!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

George, there was a dude on facebook who did the micro-sanding shit, miracle oil, swing a dead cat kind of finishing, six coats of wax, and then... then if it still wasn't super super super super shiny he'd finish with a coat of tripoli.

I shit you not.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

The shit you see on facebook!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Facebook? What's a facebook?

This article is from eight years ago. Multiply by a trillion or so, and you have today's state of affairs concerning that little psychopath fuck.

No thanks

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/Facebook-M ... -6794.html
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

There's about three things I won't share. And I mean I won't share them with anyone. It took me months to figure them out and I'm not giving that shit up easy. None of them have to do with how I finish my pipes. But none of it is rocket science and could be figured out if anyone had the time and inclination.

I do know a few secrets from other makers. I don't share those either.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I'm just glad you shared the bit about the eggs and rubber gloves. :thumbsup:
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

I juggle gophers with FreeMasons faceing directly east for that extra touch
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Sasquatch wrote:I'm just glad you shared the bit about the eggs and rubber gloves. :thumbsup:
Well, yeah...everyone should know that
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Massis

Post by Massis »

scotties22 wrote:There's about three things I won't share. And I mean I won't share them with anyone. It took me months to figure them out and I'm not giving that shit up easy. None of them have to do with how I finish my pipes. But none of it is rocket science and could be figured out if anyone had the time and inclination.

I do know a few secrets from other makers. I don't share those either.
Dammit now I want to know what these 3 are about :P