Help with sharpening spoon bit?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
oklahoma red

Re: Help with sharpening spoon bit?

Post by oklahoma red »

The term "spoon bit" is a misnomer as they are reamers. As with ANY reamer, the idea is to remove as much material as possible before reaming to final size. I drill first with them all the time because I'm partial to the chamber shapes in the selection I have. I step drill with 2 or 3 different twist drills by carefully calculating the depths and diameters I can get away with and not leave any vestiges of steps in the wall of the chamber when I make the final pass with the spoon.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

To deviate slightly, and therefore be virtually no help, I can’t help but mention something that has been parenthetically stated above: spoon bits have a singular purpose, namely, to be used for drilling after shaping. While physics certainly accommodates use in other methods, absolutely zero benefit is gained but one’s wallet is considerably damaged. If you drill first, use modified spade bits and smile knowing the hole is just as good as it would have been using any other method, and it was made with a $1 bit. Know too, you can make a new bit in about 10 minutes to create a custom-sized and tapered bowl to suit any size and shape of pipe.

Spoon bits are a very expensive way to make drilling first more complicated. They exist solely for drill-second pipe making.

(Every 6 months or so, I like to make a post...the older I get the more unhelpful they become. :) )
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Before long, you'll just be saying hope this helps... [WINKING FACE]
Tyler wrote:(Every 6 months or so, I like to make a post...the older I get the more unhelpful they become. :) )
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

It did help, didn't it?
:lol: