This is impressive!

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
bscofield

This is impressive!

Post by bscofield »

2 things, what a great looking wood and also what an impressive thing to do to your stem...

achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Ben,

That is very impressive and very cool. Who's pipe?
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Jody Davis'
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Too cool.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

This is not unique to Jody - not sure who did it first, but this looks like what Bruto has been doing with some of the Don Carlos pipes. Go to Tarek's site and look for the Corgnola Don Carlos pipes.

Looks like it is done by turning a big fat tenon in a piece of rod, then drilling the wood to fit over it. Epoxy the two, and when you shape the stem, sand all the way down until some of the tenon in the rod shows through on the top and bottom. Does that sound right?
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Exactly what I figured.
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

I've been playing around with this but haven't had time to completely finish a stem like this. It's done the way ScoJo described it--the results are impressive. You need a very close tolerance fit between the two to get the best results. Notice there is no space in the radius between the wood and the rod--learned that on the first try.
marks

Post by marks »

That is cool. It could also be done with two different colors of acrylic (should one be using acrylic for stems), or possibly with bone, antler, briar, etc. The possibilities seem limited only by the materials one could use in a pipe.

In looking at the picture, something else that I noticed is the very clean lines and button work on the stem itself. I have not looked closely at Jody's work before, but wow, that is very nice.
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

NvilleDave wrote:You need a very close tolerance fit between the two to get the best results. Notice there is no space in the radius between the wood and the rod--learned that on the first try.
I just wanted to clarify my remarks--the radius I'm talking about is where the shoulders of the wood sleeve and the rod meet. It's a blind area--you can't just slip them together to see if they fit correctly. You have to do a "cut-away" on the wood sleeve so you can actually see the mating surfaces.

Dave
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

marks wrote:That is cool. It could also be done with two different colors of acrylic (should one be using acrylic for stems), or possibly with bone, antler, briar, etc. The possibilities seem limited only by the materials one could use in a pipe.

I couldn't agree more--very cool. I've thought about different materials to use but I always come back to either bocote or boxwood only because (IMHO) the yellow and black contrast so well together but also the black flecks in the wood tie it and the rod together nicely.

Best,
Dave
jeff

Post by jeff »

marks wrote: In looking at the picture, something else that I noticed is the very clean lines and button work on the stem itself. I have not looked closely at Jody's work before, but wow, that is very nice.
Mark,

There's a good reason why Jody is considered in the top tier of American pipemakers. His work is known to be flawless in details such as these. He probably takes longer to make a pipe than any other pro that I know besides Will Purdy because he is so concerned with making his pipes perfect. Additionally, on each of his pipes, regardless of the shape or size, the last 1" of the button is identical to ensure that you will know what to expect with his work if you've purchased before. He's an incredible and innovative pipemaker and one of the nicest people in the trade to boot. Check his stuff out at the Richmond show this year. You won't be disappointed.

JG
Last edited by jeff on Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

What a unique stem and excellent at that.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
marks

Post by marks »

jeff wrote: Check his stuff out at the Richmond show this year. You won't be disappointed.

JG

I'll be sure to do that.