First "from scratch" pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
magruder

First "from scratch" pipe

Post by magruder »

Ok ... so here is my first from block and rod.
I stole ideas from Paolo Becker and the bit is a copy of a great stem on my Tyler Lane Canadian.
-Steve

It's light as a feather and drilled spot on. Wood is pretty good. I have a ways to go with planning and execution, but I am pretty happy with this one.Image
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Very nice... What is the stain? It looks different to me. Not in a bad way tho. Why does the grain come through on the top and bottom and no birdseye on the sides? What color is it? I like the shape. The stem just MAKES the pipe tho. Very complimenting angle at which it saddles down!

Nice pipe, IMO.
magruder

Post by magruder »

thanks Ben,
There is birdseye - the photos aren't great. i was in a hurry.
You can see some in this shot:Image

The stain was a result of a lot of aplications and wiping down w/alcohol.
I started w/sharpy and sanded, then brown,orange, black,and cherry red.
A lot of work and experimentation.
magruder

Post by magruder »

Geez... I forgot to invite comments and critique :roll:

Please,eveyone feel free.
-Steve
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Very nice pipe...I like it's flow. The canted bowl is very cool.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Nice pipe, Steve. I like the color a lot. And for a first hand-cut stem that rocks. How long did it take you compared to a pre-formed stem?
magruder

Post by magruder »

Thanx for the nice comments. I've been wondering if someone would find the bowl/shank proportions unappealing. :dunno:

ScoJo:
I spend a lot of time on stems. Obviously, the stem had to be drilled,turned
and fitted before shaping. I assume you want to know how much longer it takes to shape the hand cut stem. I'd say about 50% longer because you don't have a basic form to start with.
And slotting and cutting the tip interior is slower from scratch too. My main challenge is planning and executing to allow for good air flow while retaining enough material to have a sturdy pipe and stem. I really like a light, thin pipe and stem. HTH
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

magruder wrote:Thanx for the nice comments. I've been wondering if someone would find the bowl/shank proportions unappealing. :dunno:
snip…
Bowl/shank is fine. I would have given a long thought about putting the slant of the mouthpiece parallel to the bowl’s lines. And I would have made the saddle part a bit longer, so that the length proportion brown/black of the whole thing shows up in the proportion thick part of the mouthpiece/thin part of the mouthpiece. If this had been so, the reverse slant might have been fine as well. But what do I know…

Otherwise: Hats off! I never smoked a pipe with a bowl canted like that, so I don't know nothing about handling comfort issues, but it has lots of dynamic expression and individual look without beeing stylish or even kinky…
magruder

Post by magruder »

Alex:
Darn, I was going for kinky!

Is this what you mean about changing the stem?Image
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Yes, exactly!

For the »kinkyness«: We all tend do overdo the pipes sometimes on the way to an individual look. As for all overdone design work, this rather bores me. I find this design exactly on that line of being styled, but not being some l’art pur l’art.

And this is a very thin line. The »reversed« slant makes it look made as one, but it also pushes it back some way to the conservative shape feeling. Anyway I like it better. It breaths a more homogeneous spirit.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

alexanderfrese wrote:Yes, exactly!

For the »kinkyness«: We all tend do overdo the pipes sometimes on the way to an individual look. As for all overdone design work, this rather bores me. I find this design exactly on that line of being styled, but not being some l’art pur l’art.

And this is a very thin line. The »reversed« slant makes it look made as one, but it also pushes it back some way to the conservative shape feeling. Anyway I like it better. It breaths a more homogeneous spirit.
That's funny... I don't find this boring in the slightest. The engorged chin is not my style, but the pipe overall I find to be inovative and fun to look at. Steve have you smoked this one? How does it do?
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Sure it's far from being boring! It's just always interesting, how considerable small changes have a clearly visible impact on the overall impression.
magruder

Post by magruder »

The pipe smokes very nicely.
I make the smoke holes and bit passage rather open, so it flows well.
It is really light weight, which I prefer because I am a clencher.
The cant to the bowl and the curve of the rim actually allow a pretty good sight line for lighting.
All in all, I am really happy with this one. plus ,IMHO, it is very pretty.
:D
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey it looks great and smokes great! What more can you ask for in a pipe!

It is a peach of a pipe!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Ben, I just re-read your post. I think I got you now. What I feel bored about is those kind of pipes that add lots of bling-bling effects in one thing. That's "overdoing" a pipe. Yes, you can make a never seen before shape, add shank extension, and some bark and some color effects and some strange but highly artistic carving and some metal application. Even if those look interesting and surprising at first sight, and tell a lot about the skills of their makers, I find 'em truly boring, since their master was highly able to use every tool but the one, that should have told him to focus on something special.
Looking at all those highest graders – which I don't do too often not to become depressed – it is mostly their clear, almost clean shapes, the simplicity inside the maybe new shape that thrills me, when it comes to formal design matters. If ever, they add up only one "gadget"

So IMO, Steve is right on that spot with this beautiful pipe. Sorry, if explaining my point of view caused any misunderstanding. Even my suggestion about the reversed slanting is just a matter of taste…
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

magruder wrote:Alex:
snip…
Umm, Steve, I gave the "kinkyness" another thought looking at your pipe. I simply feel it's a man's pipe. Yeah, I know, there are hardly any ladies smoking pipes. But this one clearly seperates the men from the boys. So this is not kinky.

But wait. You know what: This would definetively have been the perfect pipe for Capt. Jean-Luc Piccard! Approved by Star Fleet Academy and once handed to him by Vice-Admiral Whatsoever.
So here you have a little kinky idea that struck my mind, when I looked at that canted bowl…
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

alexanderfrese wrote:
magruder wrote:Alex:
snip…
Umm, Steve, I gave the "kinkyness" another thought looking at your pipe. I simply feel it's a man's pipe. Yeah, I know, there are hardly any ladies smoking pipes. But this one clearly seperates the men from the boys. So this is not kinky.

But wait. You know what: This would definetively have been the perfect pipe for Capt. Jean-Luc Piccard! Approved by Star Fleet Academy and once handed to him by Vice-Admiral Whatsoever.
So here you have a little kinky idea that struck my mind, when I looked at that canted bowl…
8O

Alexander, I think you need to re-explain your statement without using the term kinky. To most, it means a sort of sexual oddity. Probably most still think of it's other meaning as well. But that other meaning is something like a curl but that just goes up and down... sort of like the shape of a "W"

Or maybe *I* have all the meanings wrong... ?
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Sorry…

I know the the word kinky deals with sexual oddities. To me, kinkyness (in the sexual context) is far from any kind of perversion, so I hope, the embarassment can be forgiven…
Kinky hair is hair that makes some rather sharp changes in it's direction. We even have this term in the German language. I just looked it up in my "sailor's dictionary". Ropes that are not stored properly tend to have "Kinken" [kinks, nips]. I know that from sailing. The rope just doesn't straighten itself out anymore, it even can have some "corners", as if it has a memory.
So for me it was – and that brings us back to the interesting design excursion – the meaning of not running in a normally predictable direction. Which applies to interesting design work – and to sexual oddities.
The connotation of the mentioned oddities is not quite unwanted though. My impression of those overdone things reminds me a bit of those oddities using lots of "devices" as F. Zappa said. You know, that bling bling stuff…

Enough said. I assure, I didn't mean to offend anyone. The idea of Patrick Stewart as Cap. Piccard smoking a pipe (How would his famous "Make it so!" sound pressed around a clenched pipe?) aboard his battle bridge seemed so weird – kinky to me… And no sexual meaning within that!
I promise to learn every day about the maybe unwanted meanings between the lines. The most interesting thing about a foreign language! Thank you for your input.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I think everyone knew you meant "out of the ordinary." I was just letting you know why Steve had said, "Darn! I was so going for kinky!"

Regardless of how you meant it, what you said couldn't have been taken offensively! Rest easy... :thumb:
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Pheew…

You know, a common European view towards the American is about some sort of puritanism esp. in sexual matters. Now matter what I think about that, I feel like being a German guest in an American forum. So without whipping myself for a fault I did not commit willingly – I just don't want to spoil anyone else’s party… I admit, I feared, I had run into some taboo. Slippery ground, when you're no native speaker.

So maybe Steve might contribute, what kinkyness he was after…