Bamboo Shank Egg...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMG

Bamboo Shank Egg...

Post by JMG »

This one was a stretch for me. It was my first real attempt at a bamboo shank, and first time doing a stem that I curved from left to right. Despite my efforts not to I still managed to get just a bit of stain on the bamboo. I attached everything before staining...lesson learned. Also, I made the shank about twice as long as it should have been, I think. Given it's length, the visual effect of having the stummel's shank the same diameter looked really bulky. So, I mimicked the curves of the bamboo. Not sure if that was the right call, but it's a done deal now. Also, my finish sanding was piss poor. I had been packing all day to move back to PNG and by the end of the day I just figured it was good enough (regret that decision now). The briar had some sandpits that usually would have made me sandblast it, but our air compressor is down at the moment. I am pretty happy with how everything fit together, but definitely a lot to improve on next time. Unfortunately, this is more than likely my last pipe before we leave on the 21st...but maybe I will have time to sneak just one more in). Pics are crappy, sorry.

ImageUntitled by JohnMichaelGeorgeJr, on Flickr

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
sandahlpipe

Re: Bamboo Shank Egg...

Post by sandahlpipe »

Godspeed in PNG! As for the pipe, the weird thing is the way you attached the shank to the stummel on the knuckle. Never seen that before and now I think I see why. Also, I think the tapered stem off the bamboo looks a little weird.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

I think the connection looks aight. I also think you did a really good job on the stem, I like the lines on it and how you matched the curve of the bamboo. If you removed one knuckle on the bamboo, imho, you'd have a killer pipe. The length of the bamboo had kept me distracted from your "piss poor " finish sanding :D .

Overall, I think it is a descent (actually a little jealous) job for your first bamboo. Hope you can fit one more pipe in before you go back to Papua New Guinea. Your should drill a couple blocks and cut some rod to take with you.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I hope you fare well in New Guinea. At 71 I think that a hotel without room service after midnight is roughing it. I admire your grit, faith and your piety. I hope illness does not overtake you on this mission.
As for the pipe, I agree that one less knuckle would have been more attractive. I am also not a fan of lateral assymetry, I would have oriented the bamboo so,that the main curve was on the median line.
BUT, I think you did a great job with the shank given that decision. I also like the way you bent the stem to return to the midline. Like Kamkiel, I am jealous of your skills.
Good Luck on your mission, I will look forward to your return to active pipe making.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Charl

Post by Charl »

For a first bamboo, it really is pretty decent.
That's one of the wonders of pipemaking, you always learn pipe by pipe.