Briar Custom Egg for Critique

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
danielcsan9592

Briar Custom Egg for Critique

Post by danielcsan9592 »

Learning ...
Attachments
rsz_img_5011.jpg
(69.91 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
JMG

Re: Briar Custom Egg for Critique

Post by JMG »

I will add my FB comments here just so others don't bother repeating them:

Way too much chin. Stem/shank junction gap. The stem's bend is kinked. Stain is blotchy. But this shows improvement from some of yours that came before this one. I would encourage you to find a basic pipe you like and try to recreate it. Then compare the two. You will learn a ton that way.

Also, given the cant of the bowl in contrast to the shank angle and stem bend I feel like this pipe doesn't know if it wants to be a full bent or straight.

Lastly, the sides are far too straight for this to be considered an egg.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

It might help you to think about the shape as two distinct pieces that have to be blended together, the shank stem unit is a cylinder which is slightly tapered to the stem/ shank junction, (and the stem is an integral part of that unit) and the bowl, which in this case is supposed to be an egg. Try to shape each part separately ( in your head) and blend them together with a radius.
I join in encouraging you to pick a shape and attempt to duplicate it. You will not believe what you will learn about shaping which can be applied to any pipe once you learn the techniques.
As noted by JMG the axes on the stem/figment/shank seem to be misaligned.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

If you intended to make an egg and you arrived at a Dublin, I'd say you didn't reach your goal. Best thing to do is try again. Whatever shape you have in mind, make exactly that and don't settle for anything less than your vision.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
danielcsan9592

Post by danielcsan9592 »

Thanks, guys, good stuff! My go-to dye is Fiebings Medium brown, which when I leave alone, comes out way too dark and hides the grain. I sand to overcome this, and become content with the uneven finish you see; thinking it "rustic." From counsel I've received from others, it seems that re-sanding, repeatedly, and reapplying the dye until you achieve the evenness you're looking for is the key. Once again, more patience! Regarding focusing on a simpler shape, would you recommend a billiard or pot (basically a straight shape) to focus on. I just purchased a lathe and will begin building differently, so I'm hoping for greater symmetry in the future. Thanks, again. Dan
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

I just buff off my base stain with brown tripoli buffing compound. Buffs off nice and even. Then I'll hit with some used 400grit to get the compound off the pipe, and possibly even out some areas to get it ready for the contrast stain. On the forum somewhere is a step by step that was written to get a nice contrast stain. I had the thread saved somewhere, but can't find it.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Found it. It's called "stain of the stummel looking for a cause" under finishing techniques.
Massis

Post by Massis »

kamkiel wrote:I just buff off my base stain with brown tripoli buffing compound. Buffs off nice and even. Then I'll hit with some used 400grit to get the compound off the pipe, and possibly even out some areas to get it ready for the contrast stain. On the forum somewhere is a step by step that was written to get a nice contrast stain. I had the thread saved somewhere, but can't find it.
An important addition here is that for a CONTRAST stain, you need contrasting colours, i.e. a dark and a bright one. So simply using only "Medium brown" will never result in high contrast results.
danielcsan9592

Post by danielcsan9592 »

Great, I'll look up that article ...