wizard pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
mcgregorpipes

wizard pipe

Post by mcgregorpipes »

wizard pipe
i've been working to refine this series to make the pipe cooler, keeping with the fantasy theme. I've been making pipes for about five years and haven't posted in the gallery before, probably worried about being ripped a new one with a critique. my end goal isn't nessesarily to make uber high grade expensive pieces for a pipe show. i have a full time shop making pieces from exotic woods, and pipes are more of a side thing, i'm more looking at just making something creative and cool. I make a few pipes like this every month, sometimes more. for each one I've tried to improve on the last.

overall length about 14"
stummel is made from applewood, its stock that I cut and seasoned for a couple years. its rusticated on shaping wheel and wire brushed, then a few coats of 2lb shellac
the stem is vulcanite with a reverse tenon (tennon is set in the bamboo, just find it makes a more stable fit because the bamboo isn't the typically used rhizome so its softer mechanically for pressure)
bowl is coated with carbon and waterglass
the long shaft of the pipe is bamboo, its stabilized with shellac, heat bent, then fit with a derlin tenon in each end with an ebonite cap.
I open up the draft to 3/16 on the shaft for air flow, might seem like a lot but with the length and considering the I.D. of the bamboo is wider I find its better than traditional 5/32 etc
the outside of the bamboo has a few coats of shellac and then wrapped in wet dyed leather, stretched as its wrapped.
the stummel has an acrylic accents and ebonite cap, the cap gives it a more solid and stable mortise
I would like find a way to add more micro detailed in the rustication

- Doug
Attachments
IMG_4430.JPG
(192.45 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
IMG_4434.JPG
(242.77 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
IMG_4438 copy.jpg
(116.02 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
IMG_4431 copy.jpg
(103.53 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
IMG_4427 copy.jpg
(124.48 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
LatakiaLover

Re: wizard pipe

Post by LatakiaLover »

I can't see myself smoking it, but I definitely "get" it. A functional, tactile artifact from a fantasy world. Well done! :D
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Ratimus

Re: wizard pipe

Post by Ratimus »

Nice work. PM me if you'd like some tips on getting a bit more micro texture in the rustication. This is an area of of constant research for me so I've got lots of ideas on the subject.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods