on my bench

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
bscofield

on my bench

Post by bscofield »

I hope to finish this one up in the next few days. It has deer antler as the stem extension. This is my first pipe since Chicago... I hope I learned SOMETHING!

FYI, I got invited to do a small "exhibition" at a pipe shop in Springfield, MO. I'm going down on Saturday July 30th and will be taking a few pipes with me. This one will come, unless I sell it first.

magruder

Post by magruder »

Looks interesting. How much tobac will it hold? Please post photos of finished pipe.
Good luck in Springfield :thumb:
-Steve
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

It' has a little over 1 1/2" in chamber height By 3/4" in chamber diameter. I'll post a correction tomorrow if that's not true (I'm in bed on my pda :P)
Do the pictures make it look smaller? And, what does interesting mean? Good, bad or ugly?
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Looks pretty good, Ben! Looks like you found a nice long block - how long is that baby? I like the antler work. The rustication is pretty cool, too. I am working on inlays now, too - see my post in the Stem Work forum. Looks like we should be putting our heads together on this inlay thing - how are you doing yours? Congrats on the exhibition - post pics of the stuff you are taking!
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Ben, it almost looks like it was sandblasted. Nice work.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

I was going to say it looks like it was done with a dremel, maybe with an envgraving tip. Lots of "dots". Kinda cool, almost like something I have seen with Random's rustication.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

ScoJo wrote:I was going to say it looks like it was done with a dremel, maybe with an envgraving tip. Lots of "dots". Kinda cool, almost like something I have seen with Random's rustication.

Ding ding ding ding ding ding... Yup, dremel with engraving bit. Took about .5 hours and is half way attractive. In person it actually suits this pipe very well. But even still I'm not sure if I'll use it again or not.
JMB

Post by JMB »

Hi Ben, good looking pipe. I wrote this post once before but somehow it didn't make it on the board.

Is the shop you are going to Just For Him. I have talked to them on the phone a few times and order from them on line. Good bunch IMO. If so say hello from Jesse in Texas.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

That is the shop. I'll try and remember to say hi for you.
magruder

Post by magruder »

bscofield wrote:
And, what does interesting mean? Good, bad or ugly?

That was shorthand for I haven't decided because it isn't finished. You could
muff it or knock it out of the park with the stem and final finishing...
so ... I'm interested to see the results.
I'd bet heavily against ugly... but,hey, when power tools are involved - you always have a chance 8O

Really do want to see it done. Good luck.
-Steve
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

That rustication made me think of an older threat about shotgun finish. :D

IMO I find the finish rather interesting, as it is kind of unusual. Though it's a bit on the technical looking side. It lacks a bit of natural feeling and could be seen as "overengineered". But that is surely a matter of taste, and if it is intended, it matches that goal.
Shape and everything else is pretty elegant!