Currently on the workbench

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
marks

Currently on the workbench

Post by marks »

Pipe 1805 at the bottom of the first page of my web site, at the link in the signature. I still have to make a stem for the pipe, and I will try to finish it up this month. This pipe is my most ambitious project to date. It is also the first shank extension I have done, and it will be the first pipe I have made with an ebonite stem (when I finish the stem).

By the way, the shank is deer antler with an acrylic core. This is the first time I have worked with this material, but I did not find that it had the aroma of burning hair when machining, as some have reported. Could be that this sample had cured well, as it was approx 30 years old when I used it.

I had drilled out this block with the intention of making this shape, and I let the block sit for almost a year before starting the shaping, as I wanted a little more experience before attempting something like this.

Thanks for looking, hope you like it.
magruder

Post by magruder »

Congradulations. That is a nice looking stummel. Good luck with the stem.
I look forward to seeing the finished pipe.
-Steve