A few of my pipes

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Nick

A few of my pipes

Post by Nick »

Well, being a non-wirehead type of guy, I can't figure ot how to make these pics the right size, so I'' appologise in advance for the huge pics.

This tall Brandy is my first attempt at a pipe. After I finshed it, I became disatisfied with the lack of symetry in the bowl. The angle of the back side was much less steep than the front. So I sanded it down, restained and shellaced it. You can see here that the shelac is still wet. The stain came oout pretty close to the original color. All in all, I'm pretty pleased. It passes a pipe bleaner effortlessly and smokes very well. The stem on it was a molded stem that came with the block and isn't the best. If you look closely, you can see a divit on the side nearest to the stummel. I sanded it down quite a bit, but eventually just desided to live with the imperfection. I'm planning on adding a new stem to it soon.

This pipe is a bent cutty shape. Or hopefull will end up looking like a bent cutty when its finished at least. The briar is showing a big flaw of the side of the bowl. It was originally intend for some one I know as a gift to her husband, but I think I'll have to make another. Still, I plan on finishing it just for the expirience. I'll probably end up smoking it myself.

This pipe is based on Nordh's Seahorse. I love the shape. I accidentally cut the backside too short, so I've had to make it a significantly smaller pipe than I intended. No worries though, since I favor small pipes. Last night I sanded down the stem of the shank to a much thinner width. Its coming along very well I think. I'm also planning on adding a stem insert on this pipe. My goal is to use a piece of coral, keeping with the sealife theme. Although I'm having trouble finding a piece big enough. We'll see I guess.

Any and all comments are appriciated, and please don't feel like you have to be gentle with your criticism.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Come on guys. They're not that bad are they?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

It's tought to tell without seeing the finished product. The unfinished one's look like good starts.

The brandy looks good, but there's something off about it. I'm not sure what it is. I think it's the shank. I think the shank has a shape that I'm not expecting. Can you take a couple more photos of it?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Nick,

As you mentioned to me, those ARE large photos. I have a tiny little 13" monitor at home, so I can't even see all of the pipe in the screen. I have to scroll around to see all of it. As such, it is REALLY hard to make much of an evaluation. I am evaluating a moving target. :)

If you could shrink those rascals down, I'd be glad to give you my thoughts on them.

Tyler
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hehehehe. I'm trying. Maybe its a setting on the camera or somthing. I'm only technically savy enough to be dnagerous. Anyway, here's a link to the sight they're posted on in a reasonable size.

http://home.wideopenwest.com/~nicklaurijohnson/
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Nick, you WANT the camera to take that size picture for qualities sake... What you want to do is shrink a COPY (not the original, so you can retain a quality large pic too) of the picture. If you have windows XP (and maybe on Windows 2000 as well) then the copy of MS Paint that comes with it will modify Jpg's and Gif's and Tif's which are the main type of extensions that digital cameras use for their pics. If you use Pain then open the picture and press CTRL+W. When the little window comes up then modify the horizontal and the vertical with the same % and you'll shrink it down without skewing the pic.

I see you got it done already but I thought this might be an easy way in case you had trouble doing it otherwies...
jeff

Post by jeff »

Nick,

I like the volcano. It's a tall pipe, but the rustication is even and well done (what kind of tool did you use?), although I'd like to see a photo of it with the shellac dry and uniform. It does look, though, like the stummel could be a bit shorter to accentuate the curve toward the tobacco hole. That would be a more dramatic effect. That may or may not help reduce the noted shank issue that Kurt mentioned. As far as the other pipes go, the cutty is a good start. It will be nice to see a finished product. These are great first efforts and I'm sure that you've learned a lot by doing them. Happy carving!

Jeff
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thanks all. I have some mopre pics of the tall brandy. I'll post them this eve.

Jeff, regarding a shorter stummel, do you mean shortening shank? Or the bowl?

Well I screwed up the cutty, so no finished product here. First I cracked the shank trying to fit the stem. No big deal I thought. I can just get a ring put on it. Well when I finally got it to fit, I see that I didn't get the mortise straight. *groan*

Oh well. Its a learning expirience. Thats what I get for being impatient. I drilled the seahorse on the drill press at my father in law's house (as opposed to by hand like the cutty.) The draught hole hit the bottom of the bowl well, but its a bit off center. Hopfully I got the mortise staight. Nervous about that now. We'll see when I get the right stem I guess.

*crosses fingers*
jeff

Post by jeff »

Good luck with the Cutty, Nick. For the Brandy, I meant that if you sanded down the height of the bowl you may find satisfactory results. I wouldn't suggest this as a fix for the current one, but maybe for one in the future. Smoke that one away, it does look good!

Jeff