First pipe from a block

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
miscoipipes

Re: First pipe from a block

Post by miscoipipes »

pipedreamer wrote:Very nice work for a second pipe. Aldens words are golden, make the same pipe at least twice, more would be better. It will pay off in the long run!!!
Thanks for an advice! Now I can see the reason why I need to to make the same pipe again and again :)
Alden

Post by Alden »

Charl, you are exactly right, I shouldn't try to speak in foreign measurements like "millimeter". Two of those things is way too short. More like a quarter inch or 57 rch's.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I agree with Alden's assessment. The only thing I would add is that the bowl could use more material removed. As it is, the bowl looks heavy for the diameter of bamboo that you used. That and the stem could be a bit thinner. Very nice pipe though. Closer to excellent than most first pipes.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
miscoipipes

Post by miscoipipes »

pipedreamer wrote:Very nice work for a second pipe. Aldens words are golden, make the same pipe at least twice, more would be better. It will pay off in the long run!!!
I will make the same pipe again, thanks :)
miscoipipes

Post by miscoipipes »

wdteipen wrote:I agree with Alden's assessment. The only thing I would add is that the bowl could use more material removed. As it is, the bowl looks heavy for the diameter of bamboo that you used. That and the stem could be a bit thinner. Very nice pipe though. Closer to excellent than most first pipes.
The bowl is heavy because I was afraid to remove more material :) I also made the stem slot too wide and was afraid to sand into the airway.
I will definitely make my next stem thinner, thanks for the helpful comment!
miscoipipes

Post by miscoipipes »

Thanks to everyone for the critique and helpful advises!
I will do as you all suggested and make the same pipe again (bamboo briar billiard). I hope the next one will be more refined :)
I don't have a good bamboo rod but I'll try to use what I have to make it looking Ok... The next pipe is coming... :)
Attachments
next-one.jpg
(225.34 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Dimitry I sent you a private message, you haven't noticed it (or are ignoring it, probably wise!). :lol:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
miscoipipes

Post by miscoipipes »

Sasquatch wrote:Dimitry I sent you a private message, you haven't noticed it (or are ignoring it, probably wise!). :lol:
Oops! I didn't see it, sorry. I will send you a reply in a couple of hours from my workplace :) Thanks!