Chimney

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
kamkiel

Chimney

Post by kamkiel »

I was browsing through an old W.O. Larsen catalog online and saw some chimneys and I just kept thinking about how    goofy they look.  Seeing the chimneys there, I remembered a pretty nice       looking tsuge chimney.  I looked a bit more online and saw a design by tsuge  where they had a chamber raising pin that could be placed in the pipe so you  don't have to smoke a whole chimney.

I made this chimney for myself. There are some sanding scratches left on the stem, the shape of the stem is not really how i imagined it, the piece of briar is literally grainless, and  I had some difficultly getting a nice stem/shank connection.  I just have a bunch of little machines in my shop, and I am really trying to push myself to see what kind of shapes I can get. I took my time for most of this pipe, but when it was getting down to the finishing touches I rushed it and its not as nice as it could have been obviously. I was just really pumped to smoke this pipe, and I am smoking it, right now :D

as always, critiques and advice are welcome and appreciated.

Thank you,
Kiel

I apologize about the font, but Iam on my wife's computer and it does this all by itself because it thinks its cool.

Here is a picture of the briar pin I made to raise the bottom of the chamber.  I think with the pin in the pipe might be kind of calabash-y

Billy Klubb

Re: Chimney

Post by Billy Klubb »

obviously I can't give any advice, but that looks really cool!
There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I'm trying to figure out how it is you're smoking it. The bottom of the chamber doesn't show the airway...
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

sandahlpipe wrote:I'm trying to figure out how it is you're smoking it. The bottom of the chamber doesn't show the airway...
Good morning Jeremiah! The seventh picture is a shot of the whole chamber (plus the magnetic ball holding the pipe). The second to last photo has a picture of the briar pin that can be placed into the bowl. The last picture is of the pin in the bowl.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

kamkiel wrote:
sandahlpipe wrote:I'm trying to figure out how it is you're smoking it. The bottom of the chamber doesn't show the airway...
Good morning Jeremiah! The seventh picture is a shot of the whole chamber (plus the magnetic ball holding the pipe). The second to last photo has a picture of the briar pin that can be placed into the bowl. The last picture is of the pin in the bowl.
Like this
Attachments
21-51-20-insert.jpg
21-51-20-insert.jpg (23.92 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

My Buddy has a Tsuge chimney just like this. He claims it smokes great.

On to the pipe, your main problem as I see it, is a less than graceful flow to the shank and stem. There is a lot more meat you can take off the stem on bottom primarily but also on the top as well. The bend seems to be concentrated in one area of the stem. It would look better if it was a more gradual bend.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (233.82 KiB) Viewed 1888 times
Even in my edited pic, there is probably still not enough of a gradual bend and too much material on the stem, but I think by adding a little more to the bottom line of the briar and taking quite a bit off the bottom of the stem it looks much better.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Ocelot55 wrote:My Buddy has a Tsuge chimney just like this. He claims it smokes great.

On to the pipe, your main problem as I see it, is a less than graceful flow to the shank and stem. There is a lot more meat you can take off the stem on bottom primarily but also on the top as well. The bend seems to be concentrated in one area of the stem. It would look better if it was a more gradual bend.
Untitled.png
Even in my edited pic, there is probably still not enough of a gradual bend and too much material on the stem, but I think by adding a little more to the bottom line of the briar and taking quite a bit off the bottom of the stem it looks much better.
Thank you for this critique. I have a feeling it will take a lot more time understanding these fine subtleties that create beauty through lines and proportions. This is going to make me crazy, as I'm still trying to stop making beginner mistakes and leaving scratch marks on pipes. There is also always that lingering temptation to get some color on the pipe before the final shape has been dialed in as well. Time to try and enter a new stage of "slow the f*@k down".

Thanks!
Kiel
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Oh yeah, I smoked the pipe today twice! Once to break in the bottom half, and the second to try it with the chamber pin. It was quite nice, and I look forward to its next smoke. I'll have to try and get my hands on one of those tsuges for comparison.
Charl

Post by Charl »

That pin is quite interesting. Would love to see what the Tsuge pin looks like. Or is it the same as you made?
Adding to Mr Jones: the button (front to back) seems a bit thin to me? Might just be me.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Charl wrote:That pin is quite interesting. Would love to see what the Tsuge pin looks like. Or is it the same as you made?
Adding to Mr Jones: the button (front to back) seems a bit thin to me? Might just be me.
Thanks Charl. I normally keep my button (front to back) around 2mm. I have a napkin lying around in the workshop with E markle's button sizes on one side and Todd Johnson's on the otherside. I dont have one of those digital calipers, just the plain old regular kind.

I haven't seen the tsuge pin either. I saw it in that drawing and thought it was pretty cool. If I end up burning through my pin, I'll make sure to post an update on here. So far its pretty nice. I just turned a piece of briar to a diameter that would fall into the bowl nice and easily. I was going to try and make it look like a golf tee, and advertise it as a pipe for both 18 and 9 holes, but I have nobody to sell pipes to :D I ended up doing that screw kind of design because I wanted to see if I could.

Kiel
Charl

Post by Charl »

Thanks Kiel!