Form or Function Survey

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
e Markle

Form or Function Survey

Post by e Markle »

I had a discussion with another maker about how we all prioritize various aspects of pipe making differently. Some of us are driven by an artistic pursuit, and some of us only care about how the pipe smokes. I doubt any of us really view pipes as purely form or purely function enterprises, but I thought I might pry into the question a little.

I made the below survey as an effort to gain some insight on the topic, and I would really appreciate your input. Even if you're just beginning to make pipes, you're welcome to participate. The survey is 10 questions long, and I doubt it will take more than a few minutes to complete. I put what I thought would be the most time consuming question up front, but most of the questions are really basic (age, number of years making pipes, etc.) Responses are anonymous; no one will see your name/info. It will filter out duplicate responses from the same IP address.

Form or Function Survey

Comments are welcome below.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: Form or Function Survey

Post by baweaverpipes »

Cool survey!
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

Awesome!
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Good Idea!!!
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

As a data hound, I find this very fascinating. Are you going to share the results with us? I'd love to see how things shake out. Sample size may be a problem. You might also hit up the pipe carvers guild, social media, etc.

Thanks for doing this! :thumbsup:
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

I took your survey (sorry in advance). I hope I didn't break it. I would love to see the results of it too.

Kiel
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Rodneywt1180b

Post by Rodneywt1180b »

Just so you know I'm too new to pipe making for over half of those questions to have any value from my answers. That didn't stop me from answering them though. As far as the sales questions go, "0" would be the correct response from me. I've only made a small handful of pipes, all with flaws. I'm still very much trying to work on the basics.
Rodney
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Thanks for the participation so far, guys. I'd be happy to share the results once we have some more responses.
Rodneywt1180b wrote:Just so you know I'm too new to pipe making for over half of those questions to have any value from my answers. That didn't stop me from answering them though.
I'm glad you did. One of the things that I'm curious about is if new/er makers have different stylistic interests than those with more experience.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I can always fill out the survey a few more times from my other devices at different coffee shops to get you some more data...but seriously, it's nice you're doing this and I'll be interested in seeing the results you get.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I can't make it work, the numbers jump around as I select 'em in the first part. :(
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

I took the survey. It will be interesting to see the results.

I think some of the items in the first question may be a bit too similar. Engineering/how a pipe smokes, and the making of a beautiful pipe/well executed shape/and there was one more.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
Alden

Post by Alden »

Sasquatch wrote:I can't make it work, the numbers jump around as I select 'em in the first part. :(
Use each number once you big dummy.
You just use the college degree for decorating the hallway wall?
Alden

Post by Alden »

I can calculate your age for you too if you'd like. Just send me your date of birth and bank account # (for verification, sometimes they ask).
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

looking forward to the results Ernie ...
Rodneywt1180b

Post by Rodneywt1180b »

e Markle wrote:Thanks for the participation so far, guys. I'd be happy to share the results once we have some more responses.
Rodneywt1180b wrote:Just so you know I'm too new to pipe making for over half of those questions to have any value from my answers. That didn't stop me from answering them though.
I'm glad you did. One of the things that I'm curious about is if new/er makers have different stylistic interests than those with more experience.
I'm kind of all over the place style wise. As far as what I like, I like a lot of vintage stuff. I like the classic shapes but I also like the old metal pipes and patent pipes, the crazier or more complicated the idea, the better. I love the old ornately carved meers too but that's a whole different thing. I really don't have any interest in most of the freehand stuff out there though.
My 3 favorite makers here are Sasquatch's, Scottie's and Maxmil's work.
I'm still trying to make a decent classic pipe. My drilling is pretty decent most of the time but my stem work and fit of shank to stem suck. I have a ways to go before I have the technical aspects down. I've been practicing, trying to get ready for this year's PITH. I want to complete a pipe I won't be embarrassed to show and trade to someone else by then.
Rodney
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Alden wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:I can't make it work, the numbers jump around as I select 'em in the first part. :(
Use each number once you big dummy.
You just use the college degree for decorating the hallway wall?
Ahh, see, I was 1 thru 10ing each category individually, not seeing them as being related to each other, which they aren't. So ... I can't do it cuz it's dumb. Sorry Ernie. :thumbsup:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Charl

Post by Charl »

Very interesting, Ernie. Let it run a while and don't forget to let us know the results!
Oakbear

Post by Oakbear »

Sorry if i messed with your data, but there doesn't seem to be an option for makers who have never sold a pipe.