three is one

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
alexanderfrese

three is one

Post by alexanderfrese »

I made my first. In fact it's a third. The first first is something clumsy not worth being called a pipe. The second was ruined on the bench. Third one came out surprisingly good, though not perfect.

Thanks to Love Geiger for boring some blocks, since I don't have any equipment yet to start from scratch.

This one picture to give you an impression. More pics can be found here.

Please feel free to criticize anything you think that oughta be mentioned. I appreciate applause, but please don't be unnecessarily polite. It's our only way to learn.

My thoughts:
Very tiny, lightweight, somewhat inspired by the summer moods coming up. Made like an impromptu. No drawing. No grain searching, since there are no spectacular patterns in the block. Just ging for the shape. The only thing I knew when I started I wanted to make something "with edges". I had some estate a few weeks ago with some unusual proportions. My lady said, she liked it. She commented it as somewhat "Bauhaus"-style. That went through my head. It did not really come out as a Bauhaus-pipe. Squares are a bit clumsy to smoke. But I tried something with defined edges and to involve some proportions to make it look somewhat architectural. Thus the bowl heigth is a bit tall, which gives some formal elegance to the rest, which could otherwise be seen as a quotation of a corn-cob made of briar.
I tried to push the idea of the bowl’s taper onto the taper of the shank and even on modifying the taper of the mouthpiece.

Known issues:
Stem/bowl junction not symmetrical when seen from above: Disk sander grabbed on one side while I was working on the bowl. I did not want to sand the opposite side to a symmtrical size, since the juntion would have been too thin.
Maybe the bowl wall is too thin in the lower part of the bowl. I did not consider the width of the tobacco chamber when I started the shaping. I only took to some measuring when I had sanded it down to that taper angle seen. I will know, when I break it in.
The bowl rim is not as circular as it should have been. I had the feeling of running around in circles when I tried to give an even curve (remember: no lathe). The second one I am finishing now has already tought me: It's all a matter of patience.
The photos might give the impression of a somewhat dull finish (esp. on the mouthpiece). I tried to set up a very soft lighting when I took the pics. This produces very even reflection without contrast edges. So the dull, greyish look on the stem is this kind of soft reflection. I like the ambient light, but there may be some edges. I have to work on that. There was some black cardbox somewhere around…

I have been spitting some critics without ever having displayed my own thing. Now go for me…
:thumb:
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I looked at all the picks and I'm impressed. Finish is fine. The proportions from what I can see on the pix are very good. The edges are well defined. It's a very nice pipe for sure.
Last edited by LexKY_Pipe on Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

That pipe is very very nice anyway you look at it but it being your third pipe is amazing. I really think you did a very awesome job. I love the shape, the stain and the stummel/shank transition is very clean and precise. Great job!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
sagiter

Post by sagiter »

Thart's fairly amazing for a third pipe. Congrats !!

Neil
Neil Flancbaum
www.smokinholsters.com
Home of the Ultimate Pipe Bag
magruder

Post by magruder »

I have to concur with Neil as to a third effort.
A very handsome pipe. Quite stylish. I like it a great deal.
No real critique here, as you covered the issues yourself.
Please show us the next one too:thumb:
-Steve
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

That is an excellent pipe!!

Very sophisticated looking, and a very difficult shape to pull off, but you've done it very well.

The bowl walls could very well be a little thin with that shape, but if they are, well, you've learned something.

Proportions and lines are excellent!

Great work!

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That is an absolutely stellar pipe! I have difficulty believing that it's a third attempt. Great work!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
JMB

Post by JMB »

Who am I to go against the posters before me, but !!!!
8O

Just joking I think you did a great job. Nice lines and the stain is outstanding. Great Pipe.
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

You have an excellent eye for lines and the hands to follow!!

A very remarkable first pipe!

I encourage you to keep working with those blocks from Love and keep posting the results!

Brendhain
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

ditto everyone elses comments. Great pipe. I think that it's most bestest good part is how the bowl slims as it goes down and the shank flares as it goes out. So you have a slimming as you move to the center of the pipe. Nice.
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Woaah, :oops:

I'm bowing my back on your friendly comments. Let me take the time to state that I really like the style you all are running this forum. Though we see some controverse discussion and even some threads undergoing the admin’s zapping tool, I really appreciate the feeling that we are meeting here with a honest positive attitude towards each other. The main purpose – to improve each other's knowledge about pipemaking – is hardly ever obstructed by jealousy or envy. Something that might arise rather quickly in a comparable small community if it was here in Germany. Though still loaded with prejudice about you guys on the other side of the ocean (we probably all share that problem – though not the prejudices themselves…), everytime I am in contact with some Americans, I am pleased with their friendly, open minded attitude, which is quite opposite to some common german or even european prejudice over the US.

To the pipe: I found some positive comments on the stain. Ooops. Did not expect that. Nothing special. Some simple ready made alcohol based wood stain, though not the cheapest one around. I must admit that in real, the grain has some lesser contrast than the pictures show. I like blonde pipes, and I know the colour depth will increase over time, but I think if I can reach the state of contrast seen in the photos directly on the pipe, it will be OK.
I will investigate my photo setting on that subject, maybe take some colour scheme or graybalance card into the plot, so I can handle my Photoshop pic optimization in a less intuitive manner. It's difficult to set up such a bright light box, to work with the resulting high key photos and not to spoil the contrast range afterwards. Maybe I will take some pictures of that setting, too.

Second one will be posted in a few days. I used some linseed oil in the finishing process – to fire up the grain a bit more (see above) – and I give those at least 7 to 10 days to dry before buffing.

A big warm round thank you to all you guys out there. Without all the info shared so freely in Tyler's site, nothing of my work would have happened.

Alex
marks

Post by marks »

That is a very cool shape, executed very well. Lovely pipe!!
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Second one will be shown in a few days. If wishes were horses…

Do the whole finishing. Stain it. Let it dry. Polish it. Be proud. Show it to your lady. Rotate it in front of your (and her) eyes to that one single damn angle, that you forgot to look at it all those steps before.

And there it is. A ugly blob of wood not symmetric. :roll: :(

Impossible, you say? Hard to believe? It simply is only visible from that one viewpoint. I just can't get myself back to coarse sanding the whole thing. I'd rather like to start a new one.

Maybe I should get me some glasses. Or get back to the idea of cubic pipes. Hmmpf.
magruder

Post by magruder »

Don't be so hard on yourself. Were you expecting Barbi results so soon?
OTH-If it really bugs you - send it to me :wink:
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Shurely expecting no Barbi thing. I was just asking myself if I had been blind all the sanding time, since it must have been there from almost the beginning. You can train your skills and your fingers and your patience. That's all OK with me and I am willing to pay for that in time and cash. But overlooking something really bugs me.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Wow! That is an AMAZING third pipe. Not only that, but I LIKE it. What I mean is, it is not only a good third pipe, but it also resonates with me. It is something I would seriously consider buying.

Well done.

Tyler
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

After all, everything has already been there, somewhere, sometimes:

Found this Astley’s on ebay today.

:dunno:

Funny, how we reproduce these things without even feeling like it. I did not have this shape in mind,when I started, but it's faded impression must have been roaming in the back of my head…
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

That's extremely impressive! I wish my third pipe looked half as good!
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Further outcomes:
Yes, it's walls are to thin. After a few smokes I noticed a darkening of a area in it's thinnest part. I still cannot feel any difference on the inside of the bowl. I had assumed some structural change to the inside wood. No deepening in that area, change to the wood surface. The whole interior has not taken much more than some black colour so far, since it has been smoked only three or four times. Is it possible, that the staining changes it's darkness when overheating?

Anyway I will pay some more attention to that matter with the next pipes. If I only could find some time…
magruder

Post by magruder »

Alex-

That darkening may be a precursor to a burn through. I'd be very careful and not allow the pipe to get very hot until a sufficient cake is formed.

BTW- that is a really excellantly executed shape. I admire it quite a lot.

-Steve