2nd attempt, be gentle!

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Revelation

2nd attempt, be gentle!

Post by Revelation »

Well as I said in my introduction, I jump in with both feet. Here is my second pipe. great many flaws but I'm still happy with it. I started off going to make a Dublin but the shank broke off during the late process, so I figured , what the hell, I'll make a bamboo. yep, the gaps are large and it was originally going to be a straight so the transition is a bit fat. also still getting the hang of stem work. So there ya go.
Attachments
003.JPG
003.JPG (122.12 KiB) Viewed 2830 times
002.JPG
002.JPG (128.66 KiB) Viewed 2830 times
001.JPG
001.JPG (124.49 KiB) Viewed 2830 times
"When He had taken the book, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each one holding a harp and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints"
sandahlpipe

Re: 2nd attempt, be gentle!

Post by sandahlpipe »

I would recommend working on the stem once you get the gaps all figured out. The stem appears to have scratches in it and the button is weird. The shaping on the bowl could be improved, but it's not bad for a second attempt. You certainly are a brave soul for working with bamboo on your second pipe. Kudos for the bravery!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Revelation

Post by Revelation »

I hear ya on the scratches. I'm still figuring out what to use between files and sand paper. Most of the scratches don't appear until buffing and I was getting nervous about going through to the air hole using a 3/32 for the majority of the airway of the stem. What specifically on the button needs refined?
"When He had taken the book, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each one holding a harp and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints"
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I use a 5/32" for the first half of the drilling. Then I switch to a tapered 5/32 (they're meant for wood screws) and drill the final part with a 1/16" drill bit. After funneling the slot, if you keep the stem lined up properly with the airway, you can go pretty close to the airway without going through. I've made a few stems that have hovered around 3mm thin behind the button.

For the scratches, try finer files. Start with a #00, then maybe a #2 to smooth out the lines. I finish with a #4 and go right to 400 grit for sanding.

For the button, make it so the sides of the button don't protrude past the sides of the stem's blade. Then take a close look at some good buttons (or a factory button, which can be improved on, but is highly functional) and copy it.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

I like to use a knife or scraper held perpendicular to the stem surface between filing and sanding. I actually use a blade for a surprising amount of shaping/stock removal on stems.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by Revelation »

Thanks for the tip on the 1/16th. I also checked out your website and can see what you're saying more clearly.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

This is just fine for a second attempt, but if you're looking to make pipes regularly, you would make more and faster headway by just making basic pipes at the beginning. Of course, if you just plan on making a few pipes, then have at it! Either way, good luck.
sig

Post by sig »

some advice about the scratches: when you sand and file, try to work along the stem and not across it. I heard a pipe maker once explain that any marks crossing the stem (or anything that will be polished) will only deepen by the buffing process. Sand along the length and buff across or in a radius.
Hope that helps.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

e Markle wrote:This is just fine for a second attempt, but if you're looking to make pipes regularly, you would make more and faster headway by just making basic pipes at the beginning. Of course, if you just plan on making a few pipes, then have at it! Either way, good luck.
I second Ernie's suggestion.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I give a 3rd to Mr. Markles' advice. :arrow: Very sound advice!!!