A feature/design suggestion for discussion

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
LatakiaLover

A feature/design suggestion for discussion

Post by LatakiaLover »

When pipes have a flavor problem, 95% of the time it's the shank. The only way to "get back to zero" with a fetid shank is to ream it with the same size drill bit that was originally used to cut the airway, followed by some sort of solvent treatment. Over the life of a pipe this is usually done many times (or should be) before it gets too bad.

Line the shank's airway with thin-walled stainless steel tubing, though, and the problem disappears completely. Nothing builds up that isn't immediately swabbed out with a cleaner while smoking, or soaks into the wood of the shank to go foul over time. (That foulness doesn't develop in the bowl walls because of the high heat. The shank, though, is just a warm swamp.)

Such a tube is easy to install. Drill the stummel normally, and then drill again to within appx 3/8" of the chamber with a bit that's the tube's wall thickness plus a couple thousandths larger than the O.D. of the tube. Cut the length of the tube so it will be flush with the bottom of the mortise when it touches the step. Roughen, smear with a dab of epoxy (NOT superglue!---it could freeze partway in), and slide home. Done. No muss, no fuss, and that rarest of things in engineering---no trade-off or downside. For a few cents and five minutes of work the pipe is simply better.

As for a stainless tube changing a pipe's taste, causing condensation, and so forth, they simply don't. From pipes with no shanks like Dunhill's "Don" and "Duke" quill-stemmed cherrywoods and "Inner Tube"-equipped pipes, to foot-long churchwardens whose smoke channel is 90% rubber, to stainless-lined bamboo shanks, to countless broken shank repairs that left the shank ss lined, to Scottie Piersel's fully ss-lined clay designs made of briar, the evidence is conclusive: A pipe does not need a wooden shank to taste right; a stainless steel tube does not cause condensation; and a tube will prevent a pipe from going sour over time.

Such a feature would also be highly marketable. Unlike secretive bowl curing treatments that might or might not improve the smoke (or even exist), the presence of an ss tube would be visible upon inspection by anyone. That "being instantly confirmable by the consumer" thing is important, because it would then be regarded as a touchpoint of quality---a feature was found only on better pipes.

Ultimately, if enough of you PF board crew start doing it, it might one day become a widely known technical distinction of American pipes. (No worries about the Europeans just co-opting it. Their traditions run deep, plus it would be a de facto admission they'd been out-innovated by Americans. :lol: )
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Sasquatch

Re: A feature/design suggestion for discussion

Post by Sasquatch »

I have "lined" any number of pipes with tung and/or linseed oil, to the same end. It wouldn't be quite as obvious nor quite as effective at being a total barrier (and totally easy to clean thoroughly) but it does make a positive difference on things like System pipes for sure.

REALLY skanky pipes develop as far as I can tell only when maintenance is avoided - sour wet bowls over smoked and never dried, shanks full of goo. This crowd you can't stupid-proof, and the stainless steel would quickly become buried in goo. More easily redeemable than a wood airway to be sure.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Yeah right George, the last thing I need is more dumb questions about why I make my pipes the way I do!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Well, why the fuck do you make them that way, Chris??
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Sasquatch wrote:Well, why the fuck do you make them that way, Chris??

There's the pot calling the kettle black!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

caskwith wrote:Yeah right George, the last thing I need is more dumb questions about why I make my pipes the way I do!
If you didn't put that little cubical chamber with a trap door on the outside of every bowl, AND drill your stems with a heated corkscrew, people would stop asking WTF you were up to, you know.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

LatakiaLover wrote:
caskwith wrote:Yeah right George, the last thing I need is more dumb questions about why I make my pipes the way I do!
If you didn't put that little cubical chamber with a trap door on the outside of every bowl, AND drill your stems with a heated corkscrew, people would stop asking WTF you were up to, you know.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it is what I say!
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Back to the original discussion, won't the buildup still occur in the last half inch or so before the chamber? I would think that last section is where the buildup would be the thickest anyways. And if so, the tube would make drilling it out more challenging.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Masonrygh

Post by Masonrygh »

I know this is 5 years later, but I would like to hear your guy's response to Jeremiah's concern regarding buildup in the last half inch. Has anyone experienced problems in this regard?

Is tube lining still a valuable possibility, or more of a marketing gimmick?
“Tools don’t make pipes” -SandahlPipe
“Every Pipe is a Billiard” -SandahlPipe
"Plan your work, work your plan" -Walt Cannoy
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

A drill bit that's the same diameter as the inside of the tube will keep the last half inch smooth and clean.

Not enough surface area to matter, soak-in wise, and hot there besides (meaning it will dry quickly).

NOT a gimmick, imo. A legit improvement.
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

George, you got a hot rod tricked out this way?
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

No. I wish I'd remembered when making them, though.

I'll have to retrofit. 8)