Lars Kiel Videos of Hans "Former" Nielson and Kurt Balleby

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
sethile

Lars Kiel Videos of Hans "Former" Nielson and Kurt Balleby

Post by sethile »

Likely many of you have seen these already, but I just stumbled into them this morning, and they are fantastic! Thought you might enjoy them if you haven't already....

Kurt Balleby: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF-Iz8EenJA

Former: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz0ZOuC5TZU

Lars has bunch of very interesting and entertaining pipe related videos on his channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYIin2 ... szsc3KJuvw
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
oklahoma red

Re: Lars Kiel Videos of Hans "Former" Nielson and Kurt Balle

Post by oklahoma red »

Thanks for the links Scott. Interesting.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Thanks Scott!
I couldn't stop myself and watched an hour's worth when I should have been working. :lol:
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Thank You Scott. I enjoyed seeing this.He appears to be a happy man, doing his calling.I have several of Viggo's pipes and these look to be inspired also!!!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Those guys are from an entirely different time. Pre-Internet meant you worked for someone for years starting at an apprentice level, and "making it" was being able to put your own name on pipes and make sales trips to B&Ms without being shown the door before you could open your case.

I'm really glad you posted those links, Scott. They provide some (frequently) much needed perspective. :D

Today, anyone with an Internet connection can open an online shop, and way too many About Me pages read, "I became attracted to pipes at the end of May 2015, and finished my first kit pipe in July. Since then I've grown a beard, completed three more kits, ordered three un-drilled briar blocks, and finished my first did-every-step-myself pipe yesterday. It's the tree-bark-textured blue stemmed poker on the "For Sale" page for $400. Obviously, I've found my calling."
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Amen
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

LatakiaLover wrote:"I became attracted to pipes at the end of May 2015, and finished my first kit pipe in July. Since then I've grown a beard, completed three more kits, ordered three un-drilled briar blocks, and finished my first did-every-step-myself pipe yesterday. It's the tree-bark-textured blue stemmed poker on the "For Sale" page for $400. Obviously, I've found my calling."
C'mon man, give the guys some respects! It's almost November! You do realize that sticking with something for over 6 months is a damn rare thing lately? That's called dedication dude!

As a side note, yes, it was very different in their time. It was more difficult to make a name for yourself, individuality wasn't such a very great thing like it is now and you had to work your ass off. But ask any of these guys - boy did they have fun! Working in an environment where pipemaking isn't such an extremely "weird" thing to do and there's many guys together in the shop and you become friends and you fool around.... And remember, it was the 70's ;) They did have fun, lots of it :)
Massis

Post by Massis »

LatakiaLover wrote:Those guys are from an entirely different time. Pre-Internet meant you worked for someone for years starting at an apprentice level, and "making it" was being able to put your own name on pipes and make sales trips to B&Ms without being shown the door before you could open your case.

I'm really glad you posted those links, Scott. They provide some (frequently) much needed perspective. :D

Today, anyone with an Internet connection can open an online shop, and way too many About Me pages read, "I became attracted to pipes at the end of May 2015, and finished my first kit pipe in July. Since then I've grown a beard, completed three more kits, ordered three un-drilled briar blocks, and finished my first did-every-step-myself pipe yesterday. It's the tree-bark-textured blue stemmed poker on the "For Sale" page for $400. Obviously, I've found my calling."

Although I fully agree with your "about me" page rant, I do feel rather targeted as the last pipes I added were a pair of tree-bark-textured pokers, one of which has a blue stem:
I sold both of them for $150 combined though, not 400$ each!
(and my first "did-every-step-myself" pipe was made in 2010)
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Where's your beard and Harley, though?
Massis wrote:
LatakiaLover wrote:Those guys are from an entirely different time. Pre-Internet meant you worked for someone for years starting at an apprentice level, and "making it" was being able to put your own name on pipes and make sales trips to B&Ms without being shown the door before you could open your case.

Although I fully agree with your "about me" page rant, I do feel rather targeted as the last pipes I added were a pair of tree-bark-textured pokers, one of which has a blue stem:
(and my first "did-every-step-myself" pipe was made in 2010)
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Massis wrote:
That's pretty funny. I assure you it was only a coincidence. :lol:

The barb was in the punchline $400, anyway, so you're off the hook. 8)
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

There's a guy who makes the standard rusticated pokers with fluorescent stems who sells his for $$$. The thing that boggles my mind it's that he has such a rabid following that his wait list is six months and people give him positive reviews on Etsy before they even receive their pipe. "xxx pipes are the best, I just KNOW mine will be awesome!"
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by pipedreamer »

What I find funny, is these days everyone is so busy, no time.When I was younger,Well I guess we had more time in the day. Lol, Well at least it seemed so.Everything was done over and over to get it right.You smoked a pipe or you didn't.You bought quality or you didn't.The one thing we did do, was survive.This remains moot for some and their future.I like all the noise about pipes. They are awesome!!!