Briar "WTF?" from newbe

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
CIIIgems

Briar "WTF?" from newbe

Post by CIIIgems »

Hello guys and gal.

I've been reading here for a couple weeks now but haven't seen a description/explanation of what this is.
I ordered this briar from Greece, and with the shipping charge it was quite pricy. The outside looked awesome, and didn't have a mark. I drilled the air hole and tobacco chamber, and was laying out my design, when I noticed something weird in the bowl. I scraped it with a tool, and it was softer than the surrounding wood.

Thankfully, I decided to quit before I got into my design, and thought I could use the wood for something else, so I took it to my miter box saw ant chopped it up. I couldn't believe what I found, and it is pictured below.

http://imgur.com/a/XTcXE

Is this what you guys call sand pits? I looked at it a lot, and started thinking that a bug had bored in there, and back-filled with poop. Those small round holes were already there when I cut it open. I didn't do them.

Also wondering if it was so bad I should contact the guy who sold it to me. (I don't know all the protocols, and what is expected from briar sources.)

Thanks for your help.
Massis

Re: Briar "WTF?" from newbe

Post by Massis »

These are definitely NOT sandpits but - as you guessed - bug bores!

Contact the seller and tell him to check his stock. Even stronger: I'd dare ask for my money back if I ever had a block like this! (obviously only if I noticed it after just arriving, if the wood's been in your shed for 6 months, it might have happened there...)
CIIIgems

Post by CIIIgems »

Thanks Massis.

It was brand new from the shipment. The seller boasted 25 years of drying. I had another large piece, that I had to chop away over half of, and try to salvage the rest for a much smaller pipe.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

You're much better off buying from Steve Norse in the future. These blocks do come up every so often from lesser suppliers on eBay. Maybe they'll replace the block for you and maybe not. But despite sand pits and such, worm or bug problems are virtually unheard of when blocks have been properly cured and stored. And your good suppliers will make sure it doesn't happen.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

IAWJ. I would definitely let the supplier know about the issue, in the off and unlikely chance that they are unaware. At this point in the game, anyone with bugs in their briar and selling it that way is probably well aware of it. Best thing to do is give your business to good people like Steve Norse.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

Ah yes, the wood boring beetle larvae...

I discovered a couple of these guys in a small batch of briar that I was sampling for a new project. These pests should have been killed when the briar was boiled after cutting. They might have infested the wood during storage after boiling. Either way, I wanted nothing to do with this batch of wood. After contacting the supplier and receiving a refund, the batch of briar was "sterilized" by fire! Needless to say, I will not be buying briar from this source again, as this indicates that the wood is not being handled properly.

As the others have stated, go with Steve Norse at VermontFreehand. He sells good stuff.

CIIIgems

Post by CIIIgems »

[quote="WCannoy"]Ah yes, the wood boring beetle larvae...

I discovered a couple of these guys in a small batch of briar that I was sampling for a new project.

Gross WCannoy!

Thanks everyone for the responses. Much appreciated.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Presumably that's the Zavvos supply out of Greece?

Been there, done that. :lol:

The worst of it is that wood smokes great if you can get a clean piece, but sooo many are full of holes.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Massis

Post by Massis »

WCannoy wrote:Ah yes, the wood boring beetle larvae...
You're keeping that one as a pet, right? In a tank with a fresh supply of briar to eat? Wasn't that how your "suede blast" is made, by having trained beetle chew out soft parts?
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

Massis wrote:
WCannoy wrote: Wasn't that how your "suede blast" is made, by having trained beetle chew out soft parts?
A different species, nearly microscopic! :lol:
Massis

Post by Massis »

These? (right side , middle of the circle, image taken through a magnifying glass)

I spotted it yesterday on one of my blocks, there were 3 or 4 of them running around, none larger than 1mm in length. No holes in my briar though...
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

That sucks about your briar.

I wanted to ask you about your drilling though. Are you drilling the chamber first?
CIIIgems

Post by CIIIgems »

Sasquatch wrote:Presumably that's the Zavvos supply out of Greece?

Been there, done that. :lol:

The worst of it is that wood smokes great if you can get a clean piece, but sooo many are full of holes.

You Got it Sasquatch!
CIIIgems

Post by CIIIgems »

kamkiel wrote:That sucks about your briar.

I wanted to ask you about your drilling though. Are you drilling the chamber first?

Yes Kamkiel,

I have just gotten to the point where I cut the profile first, then drill the Chamber. I'll get to that freehand pretty soon. :D
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

Massis wrote:Image

These? (right side , middle of the circle, image taken through a magnifying glass)

I spotted it yesterday on one of my blocks, there were 3 or 4 of them running around, none larger than 1mm in length. No holes in my briar though...
Difficult to tell from the photo (and on my phone), but that is likely a juvenile woodlouse. They're pretty benign.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Sas +1.
A couple of years ago I tried some blocks (ebauchons) from that supplier. It was obviously old and dark colored and pretty hard (no, not you Sas) :lol:
Thankfully I did not buy much of it. Out of 25 or so blocks I believe I had one that remained smooth. The rest were riddled with sand pits. No big fissures or worms thankfully. Either Steve Norse or Chris Morgan will sell you good stuff at least in my experience. Just keep in mind that a piece of briar that is devoid of any flaws is a rare bird indeed. Tho very unusual, I have seen bad blocks from Mimmo. He WILL stand behind his product.
CIIIgems

Post by CIIIgems »

oklahoma red wrote:Sas +1.
A couple of years ago I tried some blocks (ebauchons) from that supplier. It was obviously old and dark colored and pretty hard (no, not you Sas) :lol:
Thankfully I did not buy much of it. Out of 25 or so blocks I believe I had one that remained smooth. The rest were riddled with sand pits. No big fissures or worms thankfully. Either Steve Norse or Chris Morgan will sell you good stuff at least in my experience. Just keep in mind that a piece of briar that is devoid of any flaws is a rare bird indeed. Tho very unusual, I have seen bad blocks from Mimmo. He WILL stand behind his product.

Thanks Oklahoma red. I just ordered from Mimmo last week, and am looking forward to the package arriving.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Massis wrote:Image

Those are booklice, nothing to worry about and incredibly common, they will be in several areas of your house, especially areas that are a little damp. They eat microscopic moulds that grow on damp surfaces.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

I love reading about briar supply problems. Quality, shipping hassles, DrillBugs, whatever. It makes me feel so... liberated. :twisted:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

LatakiaLover wrote:I love reading about briar supply problems. Quality, shipping hassles, DrillBugs, whatever. It makes me feel so... liberated. :twisted:
Don't worry George, your day will come! One day you will cut into a replacement stem and...and...yeah I got nothin. :P
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/