My Very Humble Workshed

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
clickklick

My Very Humble Workshed

Post by clickklick »

My wife and I just moved my equipment from the garage to the shed. This way fine dust doesn't get into our vehicle. I have a huge blasting cabinet now, that I have no clue how to use or what else I need. . . but I have one :)

The goal is to make a room in the basement to have a workshop with more room. But for now, this will suffice. I'll have to run an extension cord from the garage to the shed when I am working, but it'll keep the dust out of the garage. I'm not happy with my dust collection setup. But I wear a mask. I just need to get a few LED lights in there and I'll see how it goes. Of course it is hot as hell in there in the summer and cold as not hell in the winter.

I do keep my drill press in the basement though.

Acting like a loon in the front yard, close to the road.
JMG

Re: My Very Humble Workshed

Post by JMG »

I'm jealous of that nice compressor and blasting cabinet!
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

That shed looks about the size of Walt's workshop. If I were you, I'd run a subpanel out there and insulate the heck out of the walls and make that my shop. That way you can run 220V if you need it down the road too.

I io you didn't ask, but let me suggest you get some good lighting in your shop whether your stay there or move to the basement. Daylight bulbs make a world of difference between seeing and not seeing the details.

For dust collection, I know a few guys who just exhaust their dust through the wall into the great outdoors. They may be more rural than your place though.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

Out there I only have a 15 amp service at the moment. I'll see what I can do. I'm in city with neighbors with small children, so blasting the dust out into the yard won't be a viable option. May be able to run two extension for now. 20 amp from house and 15 from garage. Although inclement weather will prevent that. Long term the basement would be ideal. I could fit a metal lathe and no need to run a new panel for 220. Just have to keep the dust out of the rest of the house.

I'll put up temporary lighting for now. Not sure if insulation will make big difference without a heat source when it gets below freezing. I could always rough shape out there and do final hand sanding in the basement over my shop vac. I'm eager to sandblast but am over my head with it currently. I got the cabinet from a local shop going out of business.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

sandahlpipe wrote:That shed looks about the size of Walt's workshop.
It's smaller than my shop, but not by much...
sethile

Post by sethile »

Nice score on the blasting rig!

I'd go ahead and move that entire set up to the basement before the winter sets in...

My shop is our attached garage, and I work with the door into our kitchen open most of the time. The latikia is a bigger problem for my wife than the dust! For years all I had for dust collection was a shop vac, and it was not as well set up as yours appears to be. The main drawback was having to move it between work stations, and the noise level. My dedicated dust collector works better, and is much quieter and more convenient, so that will be a good upgrade when the time comes, but don't let that stop you from moving into the basement.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Yeah, you'd still need a heater and a/c to be comfortable in the shed. The insulation would help, though. It looks like your garage is fairly close to the shed and you could probably run a short piece of conduit between the buildings and at least extend your 15Amp circuit out there. Then at least you could get some light in there and an outlet for sandblasting.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
Massis

Post by Massis »

My workspace is fine for temperature 90% of the year due to 4 inches of glass wool insulation on the walls (walls are bricks) and 18cm glass wool in the ceiling.

Only when temperature drops below freezing for multiple days at a time does it get really cold in my shop, but even then all I need is a tiny 800W electrical heater to break the cold.

Same goes for summer. When it's over 30°C hot outside and even the rest of our house heats up to 25°C and more, my shop stays nice and cool in the low 20's.

Total cost for insulation (11m² ceiling and and 30m² walls) was less than €350. Off course you need to add the rest of your walling to the budget... But there's no use in insulating if your door aren't draftfree and insulated aswell.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Massis wrote:My workspace is fine for temperature 90% of the year due to 4 inches of glass wool insulation on the walls (walls are bricks) and 18cm glass wool in the ceiling.

Only when temperature drops below freezing for multiple days at a time does it get really cold in my shop, but even then all I need is a tiny 800W electrical heater to break the cold.

Same goes for summer. When it's over 30°C hot outside and even the rest of our house heats up to 25°C and more, my shop stays nice and cool in the low 20's.

Total cost for insulation (11m² ceiling and and 30m² walls) was less than €350. Off course you need to add the rest of your walling to the budget... But there's no use in insulating if your door aren't draftfree and insulated aswell.
The climate in Belgium is quite a bit more moderate in the winter than Minnesota. Insulation will help, but some heat will be needed, and since buildings here are made of wood, not brick, they don't keep the heat out nearly as well.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Why you guys don't just put your shops in your living room utterly mystifies me. :D
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

LatakiaLover wrote:Why you guys don't just put your shops in your living room utterly mystifies me. :D
Well somehow leaving my wood lathe in the reach of my 2-year old without supervision just seems like an oops waiting to happen. So I just made my shop into a nice place to hang out that beats the living room.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

sandahlpipe wrote:
Well somehow leaving my wood lathe in the reach of my 2-year old without supervision just seems like an oops waiting to happen.
Huh?! Kids? Supervision? What a silly and superficial set of priorities you have, Jeremiah... such distractions and impediments to productivity are what sheds are for.

You kids crack me up. No commitment. :lol:
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

I'm pretty sure George is telling us to put our kids in our sheds... The possibilities!!!!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

clickklick wrote:I'm pretty sure George is telling us to put our kids in our sheds... The possibilities!!!!
Like... duh.

Howthehell are you going to get anything important done otherwise? Take the zip ties and duct tape off, and what do you get? It isn't half a second before they want stuff like food, something to drink, a puppy, and an iPhone.

Much simpler to just stockpile 'em in a soundproof shed, make pipes, and don't let 'em out until they're eighteen.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Well I'm trying to stockpile kids, but I don't actually have a shed...
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

My shed isn't sound proof, so I guess I'll wait until Jeremiah builds his, and see how it goes.
Massis

Post by Massis »

My 3 year old is the proof that even a "soundproof" shed won't withstand a toddler who can't have his favorite candy.