on my bench

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

on my bench

Post by KurtHuhn »

Well, right now they're sitting in the light tent posing for this photo, but these are pipes I'm working on:

Back to front: a tankard (similar to a bent poker), a bamboo apple, and a bamboo elephant's foot/shield. They're roughed in and the final shapes are pretty much finished, they just need stems bent, staining, and sanding.

Unfortunately, I probably won't get to finish any of them until the weekend. Depends on where I have to jet off to on Wednsday. Stupid day job....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
magruder

Post by magruder »

These look very enticing. Hope all goes well to the finish and that you will post final photos :thumb:
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

You are an inspiration--great lines.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Awsome pipes buddy. I really like the tankard.
WBill

Post by WBill »

Great looking pipes, where did you get the bamboo ?

I have a peice of briar with straight grain all around and great birdseye on top and bottom I'm thinking about trying a tanker, poker really a large slanted top dublin with shank a little ways up from the bottom.

Post photos when they are finished.

Bill
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Thanks all.

As for the bamboo, a freind in California found a place that had a bunch of this stuff. He figured it was pretty close to what I needed, so he picked up a few poles and sent it to me. I have a metric buttload of it coming soon. It's not the same as the stuff I got from Todd, but its very nice bamboo. It's about the same diameter, but the nodes are about half again as far apart.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
carthagena

Post by carthagena »

Woaw ! I like them very much as they are : virgin. But the problem is that as they are they will be dirty in few smokes so you will have to stain and protect them ;-)

Happy smoking,
David.
bluesmk

on my bench:

Post by bluesmk »

Kurt,
Beautiful work. I like the spacing on the knuckles!
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Great looking pipes Kurt! The tankard really steals my heart but all three are awesome!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
BDP

Kurt's pipes

Post by BDP »

Kurt,

Nice stuff! I really like the E.F.. Make sure you post then when they are completed. Sorry you weren't in Chicago :cry:

Keep up the nice work,
Brad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I *really* *REALLY* wanted to go to Chicago this year, but again, life stepped in and spoiled my plans.

I will, however, be in Columbus (gotta book a room soon) and I'm going to see about getting to Richmond as well - though I don't know if I'll be able to make it.

I'll probably be driving in to Columbus instead of flying - then staying on for a few days longer than the show to visit my grandmother who lives just around the corner from the Hotel.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
marks

Post by marks »

Very nice looking pipes, Kurt.

Hope you get to make it to Richmond.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

And now they're off the bench

Post by KurtHuhn »

Here are the finished pipes:

The tankard in the back is the first sandblasted pipe I've made. The other two were finsihed with my Tiger Stripe finish.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
WBill

Post by WBill »

Very nice Kurt, all three look great.

You mentioned that two were finished in your tiger stripe, what is your process you use to achive this look.

I'm about finished with a volcano I have been working on, will post pictures when complete, and the finish is almost identical to your tiger stripe. I used a permanent marker and several coats of thined down mahogany stain, it is really Tandy leather water based stain. You can buy 4 oz. for about $6.00 and add about 4 oz. of water and it works great, last forever.

Bill
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

Kurt,

I am having a bit of trouble seeing the details of your pipes.....could you post a larger picture to help me out? :P

Kidding aside, nice work there. Its nice to see the transformation from the first pics.

How was your first experience blasting?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

WBill wrote:You mentioned that two were finished in your tiger stripe, what is your process you use to achive this look.
I use a jet black stain first, once right after 360 grit, then once again after 500 grit - and then sanded off (carefully!) with 500 grit. After final sanding I use a Fiebings leather dye of either light or medium brown (depends on the natural briar color). I don't dilute, I use it straight. From there, I just finish normally.
Brendhain wrote:How was your first experience blasting?
Fun! The shine may wear off the next time I go in and have to blast a half dozen pipes in one shot, but I don't think so. My one stumbling block was that my shop-vac dislodged itself from the filter output halfway through, so I ended up with aluminum oxide all over my face, in my hair, and down my back. That stuff *itches*. Right after I finished blasting, I went inside and took a shower. I'll be going to Lowes in a few minutes to grab an adapter so that this doesn't happen again.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com