Pipe (turd) 3

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
calsbeek

Pipe (turd) 3

Post by calsbeek »

This was a shit show start to finish
first I blew the drilling (faced shank to the air hole instead of mortice).
tried to fix that
then struggled with shaping. Then cut the ring by hand (no lathe) and screwed that up and also nicked the shank face out of alignment in the process.

It is supposed to be a fathers day gift for my old man.
a little disappointed to say the least.
Ugh, I can't believe I'm even putting this on here for you to see.

critique other than "wow that sucks" would be appreciated. I'm going to do this exact pipe again to try to improve so if anyone can point to techniques I might use to avoid the mistakes I'm making....
Attachments
IMG_0543.JPG
IMG_0543.JPG (100.57 KiB) Viewed 1466 times
IMG_0542.JPG
IMG_0542.JPG (78.3 KiB) Viewed 1466 times
IMG_0540.JPG
IMG_0540.JPG (73.17 KiB) Viewed 1466 times
IMG_0539.JPG
IMG_0539.JPG (74.52 KiB) Viewed 1466 times
IMG_0538.JPG
IMG_0538.JPG (79.1 KiB) Viewed 1466 times
LatakiaLover

Re: Pipe (turd) 3

Post by LatakiaLover »

The execution definitely falls short.

The overall line, especially the side profile, isn't bad at all.

With some proper tools and a bit of instruction in their use, I think you could make a good pipe.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Don't sweat it. The good news is I can tell it's a bulldog. :mrgreen:

That's a pretty tough shape to tackle without a lathe and on pipe number 3. I think you'll find the lessons you've learned will help you with the next.
taharris

Post by taharris »

I agree. You picked a really tough shape to get right.

Considering your lack of proper tools I think you did a fantastic job.

So don't beat yourself up over it.

Your father will love it.

Todd
calsbeek

Post by calsbeek »

wow. thanks guys. I KNOW you're all being kind, but I was so heartbroken yesterday that it helps a lot.

I'd still like tips on how to do this better by hand if possible. I think first things first I'm going to strip the whole thing back down and re-stain it. I was so frustrated that I rushed the stain job and it came out looking muddled.

But in terms of shaping, when done by hand, do folks who know what they're doing do the whole thing with files to keep straight lines? I find that in my first three attempts, things tend to get off center. I'll have a decent line going and then find that the whole pipe is skewed left. Am I just going too fast? Its amazing that the whole process took in place in my two hands, less than a foot from my face, but I still couldn't see it go wrong until it was too late.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Being able to really "see" what's going on requires practice and patience. Some pick up that skill faster than others, but it is something that can be taught. Waaaaay back in the day I did a couple of bulldogs without a lathe. After I had shaped the pipe I very carefully drew the line around the bowl, scorred it with a razor blade and then gradually deepened it with needle files.

As for the basic shape, on a bent bulldog, a round file is your best friend on the top of the shank especially next to the bowl. The bottom is done better with a nice wide flat file. Look at your side profile and top and bottom views frequently keep things looking good.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Bulldogs aren't easy to do even with a lathe. Best advice I have is to take your time and remove little bits at a time. The profile view, as George said, is good. The symmetry isn't there yet, but considering what you were working with and that you have only hand tools for shaping, it's not bad. Keep on working on it. And don't be afraid to repeat a shape. You'll find a lot of things become easier the second time you make the shape.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
calsbeek

Post by calsbeek »

IMG_0544.JPG
IMG_0544.JPG (94.35 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
I did a little more work on the finish (and today I started carving my second attempt at this shape).