Pipe #2 Dublin...slight improvement over #1 (but a LONG ways

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
calsbeek

Pipe #2 Dublin...slight improvement over #1 (but a LONG ways

Post by calsbeek »

My 2nd pipe and my first time drilling my own.
I was going for a Dublin/cherrywood (sort of)
Still so frustrated that I couldn't flush fit the stem/shank. Any suggestions on a pre-fab stem with no lathe?
Things I realize already: symmetry is terrible, stem is too long.
Other criticism or helpful suggestions would be appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_0519.JPG
IMG_0519.JPG (62.67 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
IMG_0518.JPG
IMG_0518.JPG (53.91 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
IMG_0517.JPG
IMG_0517.JPG (62.42 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
IMG_0516.JPG
IMG_0516.JPG (62.62 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
sandahlpipe

Re: Pipe #2 Dublin...slight improvement over #1 (but a LONG

Post by sandahlpipe »

Symmetry is surprisingly difficult to achieve without a lathe (and even sometimes with a lathe!). There are several threads on the forum on how to fit a stem properly. Without seeing your shank face or stem, it's hard to tell. In general, if you're using a tenon tool, make sure it's sharp on the cutting edge and make sure the shank is faced and the mortise drilled without moving the stummel. Then make sure you have the proper chamfer around the mortise. If there's a hairline gap, you can fix that with 1000 grit sandpaper on a flat surface.

The main thing I would focus on for the next pipe is keeping your lines straight. You can see how the shank especially has wobbles in the light. Hold the shank up to a straight edge while shaping. I find flat files are helpful to keep my lines straight. Also, don't round over the saddle. It always feels like you should, but it never looks quite right. Finally, you need a smaller radius around the bowl/shank junction. On the top of the shank, you've cut into the bowl with the line and also made a pinch all the way around the shank.

Keep on working on it! There's some definite improvement here.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
calsbeek

Post by calsbeek »

Thanks for your (continued) help Jeremiah
I don't have a tenon tool. I shaped the stem with a file and then sandpaper until it fit....

the one part of your critique I don't understand is about the radius. You wrote that I cut the bowl with the line and also made a pinch all the way around the shank. Can you explain this a different way?
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Make your pipes less lumpy. If you don't have a lathe, a straight file can help get the straight lines you're looking for on a Dublin and on your shanks.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

calsbeek wrote:Thanks for your (continued) help Jeremiah
I don't have a tenon tool. I shaped the stem with a file and then sandpaper until it fit....

the one part of your critique I don't understand is about the radius. You wrote that I cut the bowl with the line and also made a pinch all the way around the shank. Can you explain this a different way?
A tenon tool or a lathe will save a lot of frustration when trying to fit a stem properly. Another perhaps easier alternative is to use rod stock with delrin as a tenon. Files and sandpaper for the tenon sounds more tedious than I'd be willing to attempt.

The radius I'm referring is the curve that goes up from the shank into the bowl on the top line. I don't know what tool or tools you used to shape that area, but I'd recommend a 3mm round file or some other 3mm piece with sandpaper wrapped around it. As far as cutting into the bowl, if you hold up a straight edge to the front of the bowl, you'll see a gap between the straight edge and the bowl towards the shank. Again, you'd see that gap between the shank and the straight edge right near the bowl. It makes the shank look "pinched" when the line goes in from the straight edge and "lumpy" where it protrudes in other places that are supposed to be straight.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
calsbeek

Post by calsbeek »

oh wait, you mean I shouldn't have gone so far into the bowl?
Damn, I misinterpreted your earlier advice in the other thread, thinking you meant I needed more of an arc into the bowl.
I blew it huh

less lumpy, got it Wayne. A good adjective to avoid.
cheers
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Sorry about that. Guess I should have said you needed a sharper/smaller radius.
calsbeek wrote:oh wait, you mean I shouldn't have gone so far into the bowl?
Damn, I misinterpreted your earlier advice in the other thread, thinking you meant I needed more of an arc into the bowl.
I blew it huh

less lumpy, got it Wayne. A good adjective to avoid.
cheers
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
taharris

Post by taharris »

Pipe making is hard enough (especially without a lathe), so don't mix and match your shapes.

Pick one basic shape, find a picture on the internet of a fine example of that shape and try to reproduce it exactly.

This isn't plagiarism, these shapes are all well established. And you will find this to be a great way to learn.

Todd
calsbeek

Post by calsbeek »

good call, I've found someone else's pics online from the drawing on the block to the finished pip. I plan to "emulate" that on my next turn.
I learn a lot every time I logon.

Todd, by "mix of shapes" do you mean dublin/cherrywood or something else that I don't see yet?
taharris

Post by taharris »

I mean the Dublin/Cherrywood idea.

There are different schools of thought, but my opinion is that it would be most helpful to you to work on mastering a few traditional pipe shapes first.

Once you understand why they work aesthetically you can begin to experiment.

That is if you want to sell pipes.

If you are just making pipes for fun, then make what you like. :D

Todd
calsbeek

Post by calsbeek »

I can't conceive of selling a pipe (except maybe to my dad).

and its not why I got into the hobby. Although I don't know what I"ll do once I have 35 pipes laying around. :wink: