new pipes

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
smg913

new pipes

Post by smg913 »

hello, my friend and I have been making pipes for over a year now and we would like if you guys could critique some of our work. we get a lot of help from all of you here, and we really get inspired by a good deal of the pipe makers on here too. any helpful critiques would be appreciated.
poker forum 11.jpg
poker forum 11.jpg (87.73 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
morla forum 22.jpg
morla forum 22.jpg (90.97 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
morla forum11.jpg
morla forum11.jpg (96.48 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
new blood forum 11.jpg
new blood forum 11.jpg (55.44 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
new blood forum22.jpg
new blood forum22.jpg (65.56 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
paulieg

Re: new pipes

Post by paulieg »

Pics aren't loading for me....anyone else have that issue?
weedsnager

Post by weedsnager »

I can see 'em.....very nice
paulieg

Post by paulieg »

Dang. Must be an issue with Tapatalk
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

If you're using a mobile app to read the forum, you've gotta look at it with web view.

As for the pipes, I can tell you're trying to do something more interesting than the classic shapes. One of yours looks a bit like a nautilus. I'll pick on that one.

First, where the top of the bowl has a radius cut in it, I'm not seeing the point of that choice. Seems like it would be more prone to charring the rim in order to light the tobacco.

Second, there's way too much material especially on the shank. There's still a nice pipe in there somewhere. I would take some time and make sure the lines are either straight (not wavy) or a single, continuous curve from one end of the pipe to the other.

The rustication you did looks like a golf ball texture. Do you have a reason for that style over another? Anytime you do something different from an accepted norm, you're going to have to convince people that the choice was a good one. There's good different and bad different. I'm not saying I think this is one or the other, just giving you something to think about when you do something different.

Looking forward to seeing what you put out next. Next post, take a few pictures of a single pipe from different angles. Good pictures really get you the best possible critique.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
smg913

Post by smg913 »

Thanks for the replies! We try to do different in a good way.

I dont really have a reason for the golf ball style, it wasnt my intention but it didnt think it looked bad, but I probably would not do.it again on that shape. I see what your saying about the pipe, its a shape im trying to work out the kinks.