Big Announcement

The place to make announcements of interest to the Forum members.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Big Announcement

Post by Tyler »

I'm sure most of you have heard, but I am quitting the pipe making business. For more info, so my announcement on the Home page.

The site will stay intact, but the details are not worked out. More info will come as it is available.

Tyler
Paul_Tatum

Post by Paul_Tatum »

I can certainly relate. Good luck with everything, and take care of that family.

Paul
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I am certainly interested in volunteering some effort to keep the website up a running and certainly to keep this great forum online.

I hope some others will pitch in and be willing to do the same.

Tyler, you've been a great help to many of us and we pray a special blessing as you move on to keeping the main thing the main thing.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
marks

Post by marks »

I've been wondering for some time how you managed to squeeze in pipe making, administering this web site, a full time job and a family. I can certainly understand your decision, and I wish you and your family the best. Also, let me say that it was a pleasure meeting you and your wife and sharing a table with you in Richmond last year.

In addition to personal instruction from Paul Tatum, this site has been a huge help for me in the progression of my pipe making, and I heartily thank you for the time and effort you have put into this undertaking. Hopefully, I have been able to pass along a quality tidbit or two of the knowlege I've gained to others through this bulletin board.

Hopefully, we will get the opportunity to meet in person again. Again, Tyler, I wish you and your family the best in this new chapter in your lives.
RocheleauPipes

Post by RocheleauPipes »

Hey Tyler,

I haven't been around for a long time; just too busy I guess. I sure wish you good fortune with your decision. Time is precious, and what you do with it--even more. You have the right priorities. The best creation we can accomplish is planting the seeds of effectiveness, and goodness in our children.

Now your workshop can be your stress release, and a place perhaps to teach your children some valuable skills.

Power to you Tyler,
John
http://RocheleauPipes.com
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

Tyler,
As someone who has benefited greatly from the opportunities that this forum offers I am saddened to read that the effort has put undue strains onto you. There were a few simple solutions provided by your instructional videos that have greatly reduced some persistent frustrations I have been having. I cannot begin to appraise the value of the other information I have received from reading and participating in the forum discussions.

There aren’t that many of us pipemakers around and the opportunity to exchange ideas with each other is very valuable and appreciated. The fact that you took the initiative and created the forum, and put such an effort into its features, means a great deal to the craft and I thank you for it!
Nick

Post by Nick »

My best bto you and your family Tyler. You're awesome.
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

What can I say, that hasn’t been said? All the best to you, and respect for your decision.

As for the website I would eventually throw in some help. I am currently running a comparable forum for the 20th anniversary of my high-school exam (if this is comparable to the German »Abitur«). Though not with such extended features, from it's lool, it seems to use the same basic toolkit.
Maybe we can discuss further maintenance of this forum on it's way, as soon as you decide about it.

Kindest Regards

Alex
JMB

Post by JMB »

Tyler, what can I say. You are tops in my book. Beat to you & family. Wish you happy day's ahead.
JB
bluesmk

Big Announcement:

Post by bluesmk »

Tyler,
Although sadened, I certainly understand. I also have four kids, (although a little older) and a full time job. It was a pleasure to meet you in Richmond, this past October, and do buisness, and let's not forget this great board you've established! I wish you and your family all the best!
Somehow....I don't think your just going to fade away. All the best,in your endervors my friend! Thank you for this board!
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Thanks for the support guys. You comments are both encouraging and humbling. I appreciate you all. I do not plan to go away, though my participation will diminish greatly.

Tyler
magruder

Post by magruder »

Tyler, I don't recall if I mentioned this, but to echo Brendhain, I too was greatly helped by the videos. I finally thought, "Oh, that's how they do it." It helped me have confidence to begin to make pipes.

BTW- I have your red polo shirt :thumb:
Rip_pipe

Post by Rip_pipe »

We are numerous, here in France, to appreciate all that you do to give rise to vocations, and we all understand your choice.

Thanks again, and good luck !

Bonne pipe,
OlivierR
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Wow, Tyler, what can I say? Thank you for the time and effort you put into thtis site - I know firsthand how much time that can take (I do that type of work every day of my life). You're also a great pipe maker, Tyler. I hope to see you making pipes for general sale once again.

In the aftermath, I'm happy to volunteer the time, resources, and server space for this forum when it comes to that. I run my own colocated server, have plenty of space and bandwidth, and I'm always on the server doing something or other anyway. All I have to do is flip a bit or two, and we're off to the races.

Best of luck, Tyler.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
smokepiper

tyler

Post by smokepiper »

I was given the keys to a world I was born to live for but didn´t know existed. X-mas -04 I made my first pipe out of a hobbyblock loades with sandspots, I wrote to the swedish pipclub and introduced to suppliers worth the name. Along with the supplier I was given the adresses to the swedish pipmakers to relie on when times was hard. My mentor Bengt Carlsson as a shaping and finnishing consultant, Jan Andersson as the guide through misty roads, Love Geiger the first of the pipemakers I visited in his workshop also the humble maker that gave me the adress to Tylerlanepipes. Your website Tyler has been a most interesting place and has made me more confident as a newbi pipemaker, gave me the sight of beautyful creations from all the pipemakers at the forum. I attended at the swedish meeting when Tukotomi,Eltang,Bo Nordh,Bengt Carlsson,Vollmer-Nilsson,Dura and Per Billhäll with sekr. Jan Andersson welcomed me to the world of pipes, I know now that all of us pipemakers are as one and joined troop we will share the beauty with the world. Thank you Tyler! For been there as one of the keys to my true way of living, shared your knowledge joined others to learn. You are a wealthy man in heart, the only way to become rich is in spirit.. Warm thought for you and your family! Smokepiper
ClaytonClaw

Post by ClaytonClaw »

This site made me pick up the old briar block I had lying around for a year. I had a great time making that pipe, even though I had tools for a total worth of $30.

I hope this site will stay up for a long time, it is a great resource for starting pipemakers. I know that briar block would still be lying around in a drawer if it wasnt for this place.
madgarry

Post by madgarry »

Sad news indeed, but if Tyler feels that he must do this then good luck, who has taken over running this forum
The pipe is the meaning of life
sethile

Post by sethile »

Hello Gary, You picked up an old thread here. This happened about a year and a half ago when Tyler decided he needed to devote more time to his family and work (ministry). Since then Kurt Huhn has been running the site on his server... Both Kurt and Tyler are the unsung heros of many a new and wannabee pipemaker! This site has proven an amazing asset to me and many others while learning the craft.

Thanks again for all your work and dedication guys :!:
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I should note here that Tyler is still an active admin on these boards, and his help is greatly appreciated. There are times where my eyes can't be on the board, and it's great to have the help of the founder in holding down the fort.

Thanks Tyler!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com